Literacy Intervention Tutor - South Carolina
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org.
The High Level
We are currently seeking responsible, high-caliber, patient, and motivated individuals to facilitate the Tutoring with the Lightning Squad program. Literacy Intervention Tutors are essential to carrying out our mission, which is to directly support elementary school students in literacy development and inspire Kindergarten through 4th grade students to be life-long readers. The Literacy Intervention Tutor will facilitate students' learning in pairs through the use of the Tutoring With the Lightning Squad app, held in elementary schools in a designated learning space. The tutor will collaborate with the Reading Partners Site Coordinator at our partner schools to assess the Tutoring with the Lightning Squad student's needs and how best to address them. The students that tutors work with are performing below their expected academic grade level and will benefit from a three times a week intervention program designed to improve their reading skills.
What You'll Do
- Commit to work for the current academic year. Consistent, ongoing support is necessary for the children and teachers with whom we work.
- Facilitate student learning at least three times each week through the use of the Tutoring With the Lightning Squad app.
- Ensure each pair of students is working together as player and coach and taking turns. For any student whose pair is unavailable on a given day, ensure the other student is using the app's features to practice key reading skills.
- Use positive behavior management techniques to motivate students to stay on task and work cooperatively to answer questions and move to the next level.
- Support students' questions by learning all the components of the app through training from the vendor and support from the regional program manager and, as needed, the national Program team.
- Share insights and give regular feedback to the regional program manager and national Program team on student engagement with the app, the pros and cons from the students' perspectives, and any IT-related issues with logging in, the local internet connection or the app's performance in the school.
- Be punctual, attentive, and engaged in tutoring sessions. Unexcused and excessive absences or unsatisfactory performances are unacceptable and are grounds for discipline up to and including dismissal.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Be willing to travel to North Charleston, SC
How You'll Do It
Relationship Development & Communication: Cultivate strong internal relationships with peers, direct reports, and managers. Possess a strong aptitude for effective communication, remotely and in person, with direct reports, school stakeholders, and other Reading Partners staff. Demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively as an ambassador of Reading Partners externally, specifically with school leaders and staff. Be able to set up strong systems for communication and messaging, tailor communication to audiences, and contextualize messaging. Demonstrate an ability to break down complex topics for a variety of audiences. Employ excellent written communication skills.
Educational Expertise: Ensure high fidelity of the model and intervention strategies. Possess a high level of knowledge and competency in literacy strategies and behavior management. Demonstrate an ability to assess student performance using observations.
Project Management: Demonstrate an ability to effectively manage time, balance multiple competing priorities at once, and, above all, remain adaptable, flexible, and positive while navigating challenges. Anticipate challenges and/or questions, and proactively act to address them. Understand larger strategic priorities and make measurable progress against these larger goals. Show an ability to make quick, sound, and on-the-fly decisions that consider all stakeholders. See the bigger picture and be able to drill down to smaller details and connect the dots.
You'll be successful in this role if you:
- Hold a high school degree or GED (Bachelor's degree preferred)