After-School Literacy Program Coach (Littleton Elementary School District)
Read Better Be Better Avondale, AZ
- Posted: 27 days ago
Do you want to help create opportunities instead of obstacles for our children? Arizona has a literacy crisis that YOU can help solve.
RBBB's after-school reading comprehension program offers community members the unique opportunity and training to impact our education system by making a direct contribution to schools.
As an RBBB Program Coach, you will work with students in Grades 6, 7, and 8 as well as 3rd graders. Program Coaches train middle school volunteers to implement a simple, but highly-structured summer and after-school program for 3rd graders. The older students work one-on-one with the younger students, modeling and fostering active engagement with a variety of texts. The program also includes constructive play activities purposefully chosen for their ability to focus attention and improve concentration.
We are accepting applications for Program Coaches for various locations for the Fall 2021 school semester. As a Program Coach, you will be responsible for delivering the Read Better Be Better after-school literacy program to 3rd-grade Reading Learners and their middle school Reading Leaders.
You will work a minimum of 5 hours per week at a designated site for this part-time reading tutoring program management position:
- Fall 2021 Semester: (Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday afternoons*) plus 1 hour for a centrally-located weekly district team meeting. *Specific times depend on the school location; program runs in the following ranges: 2:30pm-6pm Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, and 12pm-4pm on Wednesdays. (Please contact us for more specific times.)
- Monthly all-staff meeting or professional development training on Fridays.
- Opportunities for more hours are possible if availability allows for you to be placed at 2 or more program locations, each requiring 3-4 hours a week. Additionally, as needed/available, additional (optional) opportunities for more hours may be made available (e.g. extra professional development, supplemental work in the main office, etc.).
PROGRAM COACH JOB DESCRIPTION
MISSION: Read Better Be Better's mission is to connect young readers and youth leaders to inspire a love of literacy and learning.
VISION: A Society in which all children master the foundational skills necessary to become independent learners.
Be Excellent Be Kind
Job Title: Program Coach
Reports To: Program Coordinator
Start Date: August through September
Work Hours: 5-10 hours per week for the school year
Pay: $15/hour, with a $0.50 increase each semester capping at $17/hour
Supervisory Responsibility: None
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Varies throughout Maricopa County; our program is in 11 elementary school districts this Fall 2021 semester; We are hiring now for AVONDALE, LITTLETON & PENDERGAST (West Valley).
The Program Coach is responsible for delivering the Read Better Be Better after-school literacy program to 3rd-grade Reading Learners and their middle school Reading Leaders. The Program Coach will usually be the only certified RBBB employee on site.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attend RBBB Orientation and Program Coach Training(s) prior to being placed at a program site.
- Ensure RBBB program materials are complete and in good repair.
- Ensure RBBB program materials are prepared and ready for student arrival time.
- Take class attendance and maintain attendance records.
- Facilitate Read Better Be Better activities included in the curriculum for the duration of each program session.
- Encourage student participation to enhance student experience.
- Ensure that all RBBB procedures and program structure is being followed.
- Wrap up each program session and dismiss students.
- Return the site to order and carefully store all program materials for the next use.
- Train & monitor Reading Leaders as necessary.
- Maintain general communication with school certified staff to optimize student experience and performance.
- Effectively communicate program successes and challenges to Program Coordinator.
- Be able to substitute for fellow Program Coaches in other schools/districts as necessary.
- Attend weekly offsite district team meetings and all-team mandatory meetings at RBBB headquarters each semester.
- Rebuild program materials at the end of the semester to prepare for the next cohort of students.
- Perform all other duties as assigned that are required of the employee in this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to conduct yourself in accordance with the Read Better Be Better organization, vision, mission and values.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with students and teachers.
- Ability to motivate and direct groups of up to 32 students.
- Ability to work independently without any direct supervision.
- Demonstrate a professional demeanor.
- Seek opportunities to develop and grow the Read Better Be Better vision and mission within the community when possible.
- Maintain a good attendance record.
- It is essential that Program Coaches are punctual for all classes.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Must have High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Basic computer/technology skills including email and applications used for communication, program attendance and payroll.
- IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card (RBBB will pay the application fee)
- COVID-19 Vaccination (must be fully vaccinated and provide card)
PREFERRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Enrollment in relevant degree program preferred (i.e. teaching, educational studies, youth & early childhood development, social justice, etc.)
- Experience working with children in any capacity preferred.
- This position operates in an elementary school library or classroom setting.
- Ability to lift/push material carts up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand and walk around a classroom for 1.5 hours
- Travel to assigned school sites and to substitute school sites as necessary.
- Travel to RBBB headquarters for meetings as necessary.
Read Better Be Better is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
- The health and safety of our colleagues and their families, as well as our clients, potential candidates, and the communities we serve, are of the utmost importance; therefore, RBBB has implemented safety measures following CDC and local guidelines.
If you need assistance with this application, please contact us at email@example.com.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Read Better Be Better
EducationView all jobs at Read Better Be Better