Available shifts, Overnight RN 12am-8am, Sunday through Saturday
1800 Chicago Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55404
Position Title: Registered Nurse
Reports to: Treatment Director
Department: Crisis Stabilization Services
FLSA Status: Exempt
To provide professional, quality program services to the clients served by ReEntry's Crisis Stabilization Services. Promotes the physical and mental health of the clients by applying the nursing processes. This is done as a member of the interdisciplinary treatment team and has the goal of assisting clients to assume responsibility for their own health. The nurse coordinates and monitors medical services, including psychiatric and medication services, in accord with the requirements of regulatory agencies and in response to individual resident need.
• Complete initial Nursing Assessment on all residents.
• Keep appropriate records and do necessary charting as required.
• Write and update medical/medication policies as needed.
• Supervise all aspects of medication administration.
• Train staff (unlicensed medication personnel) on medication procedures and provide training on the facility’s nursing needs (i.e. blood pressure, pulse, etc.)
• Provide in services as needed.
• Supervise residents on self-medication.
• Work with therapists and all other staff in supervising residents’ transition in medication level changes.
• Perform DISCUS exams.
• Meet weekly for supervision with Treatment Director.
• Write referrals for medical visits/psychiatric visits.
• Make doctor appointments, doctor calls and all medical orders.
• Order all medications and supplies for nursing needs.
• Teach residents about their medications.
• Treat medical problems requiring nursing judgments and coordinate appropriate follow-up.
• Be available for on-call hours.
• Transcribe all physicians’ orders on the Physician Order Sheets.
• Check medication sheet monthly.
• Work under the direct supervision of the Treatment Director.
• Communicate resident medical needs/concerns to their respective physicians.
• Administer all Parenteral Medications.
• Review all medication errors and narcotic off counts.
• Arrange for biohazard disposal, medication audits and lab tests.
• Responsible for medication destruction (with Pharmacist for narcotics).
• Coordinate OSHA regulation requirements.
• Provide courteous and respectful care to all clients.
• Work effectively and professionally with other staff members.
• Complete all paperwork, reports, and charting contemporaneously and in an organized manner.
• Maintain a pattern of regular work hours.
• Participate actively in on-going professional growth and development; maintain appropriate professional behavior and participate in appropriate supervision.
• Must be able to transport clients in the community.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Education & Experience
• Current Minnesota RN License, and
• 2,000 hours of experience providing services to persons with mental illness.
• Experience working with unlicensed medical personnel.
• RN must have 30 continuing education hours every 2 years.
• Knowledge of symptoms and course of serious and persistent mental illness as well as medications and other therapies used to treat mental illness.
• Be knowledgeable about and utilize various substance abuse treatment modalities such as harm reduction and motivational interviewing.
• Have demonstrable working knowledge of Vulnerable Adults Laws and other pertinent rules and regulations.
• Have knowledge of evidence-based practices.
• Knowledge of supportive counseling techniques, independent living skills/teaching and crisis intervention techniques.
• Utilizes crisis assessment tools for suicidal and aggressive behavior.
• Develop appropriate therapeutic relationship with clients.
• Able to use a computer for word-processing and data base management.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
• Maintain compliance with applicable Minnesota Statutes or rules, including but not limited to DHS
• Rule 36, Maltreatment of Vulnerable Adults, Duty to Warn, Minnesota Data Practices Act, HIPAA.
• Must have a car, MN driver’s license and be able to drive, day or evening hours.
• Be able to speak, clearly understand and write the English language.
• Be able to accommodate flexible working hours.
Essential Physical Functions:
• Type frequently.
• Drive often.
• Sit often.
• Stand for long periods of time.
• Walk frequently
• Climb flights of stairs.
• Lift 40 pounds or more.
This position will have no supervisory responsibilities.
This position operates in a professional office environment. Occasionally exposed to a variety of different work conditions including but not limited to, being outdoors during inclement weather, construction sites, exposure to excessive temperatures hot/cold.
ReEntry's Crisis Stabilization Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as protected Veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other protected class status.