Manufacturing Plant Manager
Razor Technical Staffing Walterboro, SC
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
A National Manufacturer of American made, high-quality pre-engineered steel buildings, Sunward Steel Buildings has delivered over 50,000 buildings throughout the US and Canada since 1972.. The company’s owners continue to build on this legacy with a vision to be the premier steel building engineering and manufacturing company in North America. Headquartered in Denver Colorado, Sunward operates two large, full-service manufacturing factories: Wedgcor in Jamestown, ND and Rockford in Walterboro, SC. We maintain a family-oriented working culture and many of our employees have been with us for more than 40 years. Because our company is growing, we seek an ambitious operations leader to serve as Plant Manager for our Rockford Manufacturing plant in Walterboro, SC.
The “Plant Manager” will oversee all day-to-day operations of Rockford Manufacturing in Walterboro, SC. Reporting directly to the President, you will provide supervisory leadership to all onsite staff and will maintain ultimate responsibility for the operational performance of the Rockford plant. As a member of Sunward’s executive leadership team, you will align your site performance objectives with Sunward’s overall priorities to enable breakthrough operational improvement and profitable growth. Sunward is seeking a transformational leader who will tactfully manage significant positive change to achieve rapid productivity improvements and who will champion a world-class continuous improvement culture. You will provide managerial and production leadership to all functional areas, including safety and facilities, production, scheduling, purchasing, shipping logistics, warehousing and inventory management, equipment maintenance, and general administration. In collaboration with the President and CFO, you will set operational budgets and own accountability for Rockford’s financial performance. You will be responsible for meeting all production goals, schedules and maintaining the company’s excellent quality standards. Safety is of the utmost priority and you will maintain the highest safety standards to ensure the safety of all production management staff and workers. You will develop strategic planning for areas of responsibility and assist in policy development and deployment across the Company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Develops, follows, and enforces safety awareness behavior and applies safety, ergonomic, and environmental policies. Understands the standards, guidelines, and regulations applicable to the site. Properly communicates all incidents in accordance with the policy. Ensures safety goals are achieved and safety performance continually improves with proper analysis and treatment of incidents including "near misses."
2. Achieves operational excellence in the areas of production workflow, 5S, inventory management, asset utilization, labor efficiency, scrap, transportation efficiency, and machine/equipment uptime and repair cost. Able to recognize and systemically eliminate waste. Able to define standard work, document, and train staff for consistency. Coaches all levels of the organization on waste recognition, continuous improvement, and process standardization.
3. Drives and leads continuous improvement activities to improve location performance in safety, quality, on-time delivery, and cost performance, and related site key performance indicators (KPIs).
4. Ensures compliance to Sunward and customer-specific quality specifications. Ensures that all quality control checks are effectively completed. Ensures quality issues are investigated, root causes determined, and corrective actions implemented.
5. Trains and develops team, including job specific training, Lean manufacturing training, interpersonal conflict resolution, and safety.
6. Monitors team's performance and implements team and individual goals to improve overall team performance.
7. Sets site goals and objectives aligned with Sunward’s overall goals/objectives. Communicates what employees can do to improve the results. Drives proactive urgency in team toward goals/objects that the team has agreed upon through clear communication and close monitoring.
8. Appraises performance of direct reports. Gives immediate feedback on performance concerns and frequent feedback on progress. Performs Performance Evaluations at designated intervals with all employees covering recent performance, areas needing improvement, recent progress, and any personal development items that should be worked on together.
9. Plans capacity (people and equipment) and budgets. Determines needed shifts, staffing, and performance improvements required to exceed customer expectations. Develops and executes the plan, including capital spending needed to support the necessary performance improvements.
10. Conducts problem solving activities for quality and production issues for the site. Understands a structured process to solve problems with root cause and validated corrective actions.
11. Monitors the site's performance against KPI's. Works with the team to ensure deviations (good and bad) are understood and actions are in place to address these deviations.
12. Understands cost control and what financially impacts the site. This includes knowing cost impact of OT, scrap, lost production time, etc.
13. Plans and balances overtime based on workload and schedules.
14. Posts and maintains updated work instructions at ALL workstations. Ensures that all training to the latest standard is complete and effective.
15. Communicates the overall direction of Sunward’s leadership team to the site, including continuous improvement initiatives, organizational improvements, and policy changes.
16. Manage ERP system implementation and utilization in accordance with company policies.
17. Manage and enforce company HR policies and procedures and ensure employee compliance.
18. Other duties as directed by the President.
Education and/or Experience
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Business discipline or equivalent demonstrable knowledge gained through working experience
2. Minimum of 8 years’ progressive leadership experience in a heavy manufacturing environment
3. Minimum of 5 years’ senior level supervisory leadership experience
1. Welding knowledge – willing and able to attain CWB Welding Supervisor certification
2. Production scheduling best practices
3. Standard procedure documentation and writing ability
4. Blueprint reading
5. ISO 9001 quality control standards
6. Lean manufacturing or Continuous Improvement program experience
7. OSHA regulation knowledge and experience
1. Experience setting strategic priorities and leading team to execute according to plan
2. Strong communication and interpersonal skills with ability report to executive leadership and also engage effectively with front-line operations staff
3. Proven ability to supervise employees effectively and maintain staff compliance to company HR policies
4. Data-driven leader with ability to utilize KPI’s and business intelligence to improve operational performance
1. The employee may be required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
1. Core equipment & process knowledge: roll formers, punch, shears, press brakes
2. Lean/Six Sigma/TPS/Greenbelt/Blackbelt or related certification
3. Experience in steel fabrication manufacturing environment
Razor Technical Staffing
ManufacturingView all jobs at Razor Technical Staffing