Ratto Bros, Inc. is a 100-year-old family-owned farming operation selling vegetables and leafy greens to retailers and packers throughout the U.S. As a vertically integrated grower, packer, and shipper, we have full control over every aspect of our business that allows us to stay true to our ongoing commitment to provide the freshest, safest, and highest quality produce on the market.
The HR Generalist will be responsible for all human resource functions including talent requisition, onboarding, employee relations, legal compliance, compensation, benefits, policy implementation and enforcement. The primary responsibility of this position is to be the point of contact for all human resources functions and serve as an effective adviser to employees and management.
- Performs routine tasks required to administer and execute human resource programs including but not limited to compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Provides HR support and guidance to management, supervisors and other staff when complex, specialized, and sensitive questions and issues arise; will be required to administer and execute routine tasks in delicate circumstances such as providing reasonable accommodations, investigating allegations of wrongdoing, and terminations.
- Counsels and guides managers on appropriate performance management measures; assists managers in writing corrective action memos and other documentation; attends or conducts corrective action sessions as warranted; performs necessary follow-up
- Manages recruitment process for exempt and non-exempt openings; initiates and coordinates recruitment ads; reviews applications/resumes; assist managers with screening applicants; ensures offers are made in accordance with procedures; collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings
- Conducts new hire employee orientations, apprises employees of benefit options, and accurately completes requisite paperwork for new staff members
- Inform leadership on changes in HR law and makes recommendations to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations
- Creates learning and development programs and initiatives that provide internal development opportunities for employees.
- Recommends and coordinates employee recognition programs and celebrations.
- Prepares and facilitates HR leadership and policy training for interviewing, equal employment opportunity, diversity, fair labor standards and internal policies. Manages facility certification programs for hourly and salaried employees, to include Performance Management, and learning plans.
- Oversees the daily workflow of the department.
- Counsels employees regarding human resources policies, procedures, and practices
- Provides human resources-related training and may act as trainer for training development as needed and appropriate, addressing areas such as performance counseling and employee relations issues
- Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Conducts exit interviews and make recommendations based on trends or notable comments for advising management for improvement.
- Conducts investigations (harassment, work complaints, discrimination, employee concerns) prepares investigative reports and makes recommendations to resolve employee issues based on policy, past practice and legal justifications.
- Audits human resources records to insure data integrity.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Oversee the farm labor vehicle driver/DOT program
- Coordinate with Legal counsel regarding employment law issues.
- Collaborate with Safety Manager on key workers compensation issues and safety training programs
- Conduct comprehensive loss and claims management and analysis; follow up with all internal/external parties involved to expedite claims to closure.
- Monday – Friday, Saturday availability required
- Must be able to adapt to wet, cold indoor conditions (34-40 degrees)
- The work environment is cold, muddy, windy, hail, foggy, or rainy in winter, hot and very sunny during the summer. Temperatures may average 65-80ºF in office areas, and temperatures outside may range from 25ºF-100ºF.
- On ranches, the employee will occasionally experience exposure to airborne agents like dusts, spores, pollens, insects, smells etc. Work environment is cold, muddy, windy, hail, foggy, or rain in winter, hot and very sunny during the summer
- Ability to bend, climb and lift up to 20-30 lbs
- Prolonged periods of sitting at desk and working on computer.
- Must be able to access and navigate each department at the organization’s facilities and ranches.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to present to multi-level audiences
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and ADP
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, or related field required
- 5+ years’ experience in human resource management, preferably in an agricultural environment
- Proactive attitude and strong organizational skills
- Strong knowledge of OSHA, EEOC, ADA, FEHA, Wage and Hour
- English/Spanish bilingual/bi-literate preferred
- Valid Driver’s license
- Must be able to work under tight deadlines in an agricultural or manufacturing environment and respond to “on call” hours as needed
This position is a full time, year round employment. We offer competitive wages and benefits along with the opportunity for personal growth within a learning environment. Salary is based on experience. Ratto Bros Inc., is an equal opportunity employer. Job offer is subject to contingencies. For more information regarding this opportunity, please call 209-545-4445 or email resume to email@example.com
Ratto Bros., Inc.Since 1905, Ratto Bros. has been owned and operated in the family tradition started by Antone L. Ratto. The son of Italian Immigrants, Antone grew his own vegetables on Bay Farm Island near Oakland and personally delivered his vegetables to his customers in a horse-drawn cart. One hundred years and several generations later, the Ratto family still grows their own vegetables and cultivates personal relationships with each of their customers. Come inside our site and find out how a family business has grown to meet and exceed the demands of our corporate customers while retaining the traditional values of hard work, high quality products and lasting relationships.