The General Manager (“GM”) will have overall responsibility for the operation, maintenance, engineering, revenue and expenses of Vicinity’s Morgantown Energy Associates district energy business in Morgantown, WV. As the primary representative of Vicinity in Morgantown, GM will interface with customers, community and business leaders, political bodies and regulatory agencies. The GM, as part of his day-to-day activities, will support growth initiatives in Morgantown and the local area. The GM will report to the Regional VP and the position is located in Morgantown, West Virginia.
1. Support and expand existing customer relationships, contracts and services both on the district energy facilities and beyond within Morgantown
2. Provide evaluation, recommendation and guidance on new project development with Business Development teams
3. Support the development and marketing of new energy and energy related products to position district energy and related products to competitively meet the needs of the community
4. Support the preparation of proposals in response to customer specifications and technical information requests for engineering analysis, system studies, and other technical projects.
5. Ensure that all generation and distribution system facilities are maximized to plant capacity factor, availability, performance and efficiency
6. Ensure that maintenance is performed per metrics established by the organization
7. Manage operating agreements, including environmental and governmental requirements in a clean, safe, efficient and cost effective manner
8. Through the Operations Manager provide direction for the dispatch of heating, cooling and electric generating equipment, as applicable
9. Collaborate with Corporate Purchasing for the procurement and delivery of business inputs including fuel, water and electricity
10. Prepare annual operating plans, budgets, budget controls, and budget variances for the efficient management of the facility
11. Monitor budget on monthly basis and long-term budget forecasts
12. Coordinate and supply pertinent information to both corporate and local accounting and finance departments
13. Manage the business unit’s safety program
14. Coordinate Risk Insurance, requirements and plant safety
15. Be responsible for Vicinity’s “Goal 0” safety policy
16. Sets objectives for the team; manage site personnel and performance of staff; make recommendations for merit increases and incentive pay.
17. Administer Employee Policies and Procedures to all staff members
18. Communicate regularly with the Regional VP for consultation, guidance and approvals
19. Manager an ongoing relationship with elected officials, the local community and the regulatory community in coordination with senior management
20. Monitor local regulatory and community activities for the purpose of anticipating changes that may affect the business
Qualifications and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree preferably in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering; Master’s degree in engineering or MBA with the demonstrated ability to manage engineering and capital projects preferred
2. 10 – 15+ years’ experience in the Energy & Utilities industry with specific experience with district energy and utility power infrastructure
3. Related industry licenses and certifications desirable (Professional Engineering, Certified Energy Manager, PMP, LEED etc.)
4. 5 years’ recent experience supervising a staff in a district energy/steam production facility, central plant, building or large facility as a Plant Manager or General Manager
5. P&L responsibility with thorough knowledge of accounting and financial management for district energy and power production facilities
6. Strong knowledge of steam, hot and cold water, cogeneration, compressed air, chilled water, electricity, HVAC or other utility systems
7. Strong knowledge of general engineering and operations procedures
8. In-depth knowledge of the economics and technologies associated with the provision of district energy or other utility services.
9. Highly developed leadership skills
10. Excellent communications skills with the ability to interact with all levels of an energy organization, from operational management to senior leadership as well as external stakeholders
1. This position is located in a Steam Boiler Plant environment. The General Manager will work both inside and outside in all temperatures and climate conditions in accordance with heat stress procedures.
2. Ability to tolerate confined spaces, including manholes, and varying temperatures and weather conditions during each shift.
3. Ability to lift heavy equipment and carry materials up and down stairs with the capacity of lifting up to and including 90 pounds.
4. Ability to hear and understand audible alarms, detect changes in noise levels of rotating equipment and hear portable radio communication.
5. Ability to discern assorted colors.
6. Ability to climb and tolerate heights up to 150 feet.
7. Employee may routinely be required to stand for extended periods of time and to walk over uneven surfaces such as loose rock, open grating and up and down ladders and staircases.
8. Maintenance activities may include working on electrical equipment with voltages up to 138 kV.
9. Work with and around hazardous and non-hazardous materials.
10. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as required.
11. Ability to operate Company vehicles and equipment and maintain operating licenses and certifications. Valid state driver’s license is required to drive company vehicle.
Rapid Resource Recruiters