At the beginning of October, Marcum merged in Raffa, which is now known as Raffa - Marcum's Nonprofit and Social Sector Group!
Raffa is actively seeking a mission driven client-facing Senior Accountant to join our growing Managed Accounting Services (MAS) team in our Washington, DC or Rockville, MD offices. MAS supports the accounting function for a variety of diverse clients, primarily in the nonprofit sector. This is a great opportunity for a Senior Accountant or Controller who is looking for challenging, yet highly rewarding work. The ideal candidate will possess a high aptitude for learning new systems and processes, is comfortable interfacing with C-Suite executives and boards, and is comfortable working in a deadline driven environment.
The Managed Accounting Services Senior Accountant leads the engagement team and is primarily responsible for collecting, reconciling and summarizing accounting information, and entering data into different accounting software. The Senior Accountant acts as the primary contact for the client and oversees the Staff Accountants. The work of the Senior Accountant is performed in the Marcum offices but can involve travel to client sites.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with the month-end and year-end closing process, including preparation of audit schedules.
- Prepares reconciliations for necessary balance sheet accounts and various other general ledger accounts, as needed.
- Prepares day-to-day and month end close entries including payroll, fringe, investment allocations, and grant allocations.
- Develops and maintains an understanding of the accounting operations within each assigned client. Obtains a working knowledge of the client's accounting software packages. Responsible for recommending and enforcing the internal controls, policies, and procedures, established by the client.
- Leads the engagement team in preparation for a client's audit.
- Assist in preparation of our clients' tax forms and year end preparation of their 1099's.
- Recommend, design, and implement any necessary department controls and procedures.
- Responsible for preparing monthly financial statements, such as monthly balance sheet, income statement, report on changes in financial position and budget variances.
- Coaches and mentors Staff accountants through project management.
- Reviews and supervises staff accountant's monthly work including but not limited to Journal Entries, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, experience, certifications):
- A Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration or other related education.
- CPA or CPA Candidate.
- 5+ years of Accounting experience in Public Accounting or at a Non-Profit organization.
- Proficient in the use of Excel and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Proficient with various accounting software programs including but not limited to QuickBooks, Intacct, Sage50, Solomon and Great Plains.
- An understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Supervisory experience preferred.
Marcum works hard to keep our compensation and benefit programs competitive with today's market.
At Marcum, you'll find a competitive salary, benefits and 401(k) retirement savings plan. We care about our employees' mental and physical health, well-being and quality of life. Therefore, the firm offers a comprehensive employee benefits package that in part, includes:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance & AD&D Coverage
- Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Holidays and Paid Time Off
- Employee assistance program (counseling)
- Smart Benefits program (WMATA)
- Firm-paid training
- Various health and wellness programs