Outside Sales Representative (Contractor Sales)
RP Lumber Saratoga, WY
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
An Outside Sales Representative is responsible for finding new sales and business development opportunities by selling R.P. Lumber Co.’s full range of building material products and services to contractors, developers, management companies, realtors, and home owners in an assigned territory. This is accomplished by identifying target customers, making calls, visiting job sites and assisting customers in a timely and efficient manner with their projects and related product knowledge pertaining to lumber and building material supplies. Sales techniques, developing customers, following through with commitments and heavy communication are all components of this position.
Responsibilities of Position
- Compiles lists of prospective customers for use as sales leads, based on information from personal referrals, newspapers, business directories, industry ads, trade shows, Internet Web sites, or other sources.
- Travels throughout assigned area to call on regular and prospective customers to solicit orders, or communicates with customer via phone or other electronic media (email, text, etc.).
- Ensures quality customer service through personal interaction with contractor and retail customers. Personally handles customer and contractor accounts as required and assigned.
- Uses in-depth knowledge of product application to assist customers in selecting product for their business and/or construction projects. Develops understanding of customer’s needs and matches those needs with company products and services. Presents to customers information on various products and services offered by R.P. Lumber Co.
- Establishes, reviews, and reports market activity, market penetration, pricing, margins, selling approaches and itineraries to Senior Management.
- Quotes prices, solicits credit application(s), and prepares sales contracts for delivery schedules for orders of lumber and building material supplies obtained from prospective customers.
- Prepares reports of business transactions and keeps expense accounts.
- Works closely with Store Manager and Inside Sales Representatives to keep account activities and literature up to date.
- Works closely with IT Department to enter, update and delete pricing/cost information (quotes) as needed for accurate pricing and dating with respect to a customer’s account.
- Assists with developing monthly, quarterly and annual plans in conjunction with Store, Regional/Area Manager, as well as Senior Management to meet store goals for volume and profitability.
- Monitors and tracks product levels of inventory of product in the store to ensure customer’s needs are met. Notifies Store Manager when new orders are needed.
- Works with and through Senior Management, Regional/Area Manager, as well as Store management and employees to facilitate efficient delivery of product and service to commercial customers.
- Investigates and resolves customer problems with deliveries, product quality, or service.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with customers and contractors.
- Reads and interprets blueprints for residential and multi-family building projects. Estimates product quantities for prospective jobs and develops competitive pricing bids to solicit sales.
- Travels to and attends trade shows as directed by Senior Management.
- Performs other assigned duties as directed by Store Manager, including assisting with inside counter sales when present in store / showroom.
- Outside sales experience, with knowledge of building materials, applications, related equipment, and/or construction industry is desired.
- Ability to read blueprints, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and government regulations.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret graphs and charts. Must be able to perform and comprehend basic business and financial calculations.
- Ability to utilize company point-of-sale system (Spruce), Microsoft Office programs (Word & Excel), estimating software program and other 3rd party software applications at an intermediate level.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and presentation skills with a passion for sales.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and protect sensitive information, including R.P. Lumber Co. information and customer-specific information.
- Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year College or technical school; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- An acceptable driving record, valid state issued driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Basic computer skills experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and retail point-of-sale systems.
- Basic and intermediate knowledge of building products and local building codes preferred.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and holidays.
- Successful applicants are subject to pre-employment drug testing, pre-employment background check and driver history checks in accordance with applicable federal and state law.
R.P. Lumber Co. offers the following opportunities and benefits (Full-Time employees):
- Competitive Salary plus Commission
- Health / Dental / Vision / Term Life & Short Term Disability Insurance
- Profit Sharing / 401k
- Paid time-off & holidays
- Employee Merchandise Discount
Candidates who meet our selection criteria will be contacted by phone or email for the next step in our hiring process.
Thank you for your interest in our position. We appreciate the time you have taken to apply with us.
R.P. Lumber Co., Inc. (“R.P. Lumber Co.") is committed to providing equal opportunity in all employment practices, including but not limited to selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, and compensation to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, handicap or disability, citizenship status, service member status, genetic information or any other category protected by federal or state law.
BusinessView all jobs at RP Lumber