Inside Sales Representative (Counter Sales)
- Posted: over a month ago
- $14 Hourly
This position is responsible for handling sales of building materials and products to customers and contractors either in-person at the sales counter or via electronic communication methods (i.e., phone, facsimile, email) while providing prompt and courteous service. Additional responsibilities include, but not limited to, operating the cash register, processing customer payments, processing and providing refunds for returned merchandise, answering the telephone and directing calls as needed, maintaining proper inventory levels on showroom floor, as well as maintaining the appearance and cleanliness of the showroom and sales counter.
Responsibilities of Position
- Respond to customer inquiries regarding product selection, placement of orders, requests for prices and quotations, scheduling of deliveries and installations, and providing customer follow-ups as necessary.
- Listens to and resolves customer service complaints or requests when appropriate. Requests assistance from Store Manager in resolving customer complaints when necessary.
- Code and input customer orders, pricing information and additional data into the point-of-sale computer system, ensuring the accuracy of invoices, work orders, and sales tickets.
- Operate and balance cash register daily.
- Research credits, returns, and late payments as needed.
- Assist customers in the purchase and delivery of special order products through the utilization and understanding of product information contained within Supplier catalogs (i.e., pricing, colors, sizes, availability, etc.).
- Cooperate with the credit department in obtaining customer credit information and aid in collecting delinquent accounts
- Responsible for maintaining inventory, product displays, and pricing labels within assigned area in regard to merchandising standards by stocking, facing, straightening, and cleaning or any other task necessary to maintain appearance of products within showroom.
- Transports merchandise to specified areas for customer pickup or delivery.
- Actively seek to minimize shrinkage of inventory and protect the store against shoplifting and internal theft.
- Work with Outside Sales Representative(s) to ensure customer satisfaction, including, but not limited to, responding to questions or inquiries pertaining to orders and/or product inquiries and pricing.
- Develop and learn estimating skills to provide material take offs for construction projects.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with customers and contractors.
- Perform other assigned job duties and responsibilities in the store / showroom as requested by the Store Manager, including, but not limited to, cutting glass or Plexiglas (where sold), mixing paint, cutting keys, etc.
- Previous sales experience, knowledge of building materials, applications, related equipment, and/or construction industry is desired, but not required.
- Interpersonal and communication skills in order to talk to, and especially listen to, customers and contractors.
- Ability to utilize company point-of-sale system (Spruce), Microsoft Office programs (Word & Excel), and other 3rd party software applications at an intermediate level.
- Strong organizational, math, and computer skills.
- Knowledge of Estimating / AutoCAD experience is preferred.
- Ability to provide professional customer service and work in a team-oriented environment.
- The physical demands of the position requires an individual to have the ability to bend, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and be able to frequently lift and/or move between 50 - 100 pounds when assisting customers with loading lumber and/or building materials into customers' vehicles following a retail sale.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or three to six months related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and to do moderate lifting.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and holidays.
- Successful applicants are subject to pre-employment drug testing, pre-employment background check and driver history checks in accordance with applicable federal and state law.
R.P. Lumber Co. offers the following opportunities and benefits (Full-Time employees):
- Competitive Wages Based on Experience
- Health / Dental / Vision / Term-Life and Disability Insurance
- Profit Sharing / 401(K) Plan
- Paid Time-Off & Holidays
- Employee Merchandise Discount
Candidates who meet our selection criteria will be contacted by phone or email for the next step in our hiring process.
Thank you for your interest in our position. We appreciate the time you have taken to apply with us. Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
R.P. Lumber Co., Inc. (“R.P. Lumber Co.) is committed to providing equal opportunity in all employment practices, including but not limited to selection, hiring, promotion, transfer, and compensation to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, handicap or disability, citizenship status, service member status, genetic information or any other category protected by federal or state law.
BusinessView all jobs at RP Lumber