Admitting Specialist/Financial Counselor
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Job Title: Admitting Specialist/Financial Counselor
Department/Location: Admitting / Harvester, IL
Shifts: Days. 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
- (occasional) On call hours from 6pm - 9pm + 10am - 2pm on weekends
Full/Part: Full-time (80 hours per pay period) + benefit eligible
Req. Number: 1111
Reports to the Admitting Supervisor. Responsible for processing new admissions for the Hospital, verifying insurance benefits for referred patients, and performing other functions related to the Admitting Department.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports the Mission and Vision of RML Specialty Hospital by demonstrating RML’s Core Values of Service, Teamwork, Accountability, Integrity, Respect, Stewardship (STAIRS) in all actions. Promotes a positive patient/customer experience by exemplifying the principles of the Language of Caring in all interactions with patients, families, and coworkers.
- Responsible for processing patient admissions in Meditech. Verifies demographic information to ensure accurate information. Enters Standard of Care and Plan of Care in Meditech, and assigns the Care Coordinator for new admissions. Communicates with patients and families to provide them with necessary information regarding their stay at RML prior to or at the time of admission.
- Responsible for processing patient discharges and room transfers in the Meditech system. Also responsible for processing complex leave of absence data in Meditech to ensure compliance with Medicare regulations.
- Responsible for accurate and timely verification of insurance benefits for new referrals in order to provide financial protection for RML while not impeding the admission process for patients meeting medical criteria. Processes referrals within a one hour time frame for financial authorization.
- Applies knowledge of complex insurances and complicated disability and cobra guideline/information, which often varies with the patient’s employer. Obtains and provides information on a professional level to and from patients/families and employers.
- Responsible for meeting with Patient/Family/POAHC to obtain signatures on appropriate consent forms with 48 hours of admission. Discusses contents of RML Specialty Hospital patient handbook and Advance Directives information with patients/families.
- Understands and applies the process for Financial Assistance to assist patients in completing the Charity Care application as appropriate.
- Participates in the Admitting Department’s On-Call schedule, providing coverage for the Admitting Department after normal business hours and on Saturdays.
- Maintains a professional working relationship with the Intake Dept, Care Coordinators and Patient Financial Services Departments for both locations.
- Works to achieve department goals.Actively participates in staff meetings and continued education activities. Participates on committees or task forces as directed by Admitting Supervisor.
- Responsible for preparing and updating the Admitting Department Training Manual to include all Meditech upgrades. This includes all department functions (inpatient admissions, discharges, room and program transfers, and LOAs). Assists with the testing of all Meditech upgrades.
- Reviews patient files to ensure the integrity of patient information, verifying that patient registration, demographic information, and documentation is accurate and within the Corporate Compliance guidelines of the hospital. Maintains confidentiality of all patient information verbally, on-line and in print. Complies with all hospital policies related to computer issues and system security. Complies with HIPAA guidelines.
- Reports discrepancies to the Admitting Supervisor. Monitors admissions to ensure that consent forms are signed within 48 hours of admission. Provides both locations with a list of patient names and their insurance card information that must be brought into the facility.
- Assists in the training of new Admitting Department employees.
- Meets with patients and/or family members that have additional questions regarding their insurance. This includes complex Medicare, Medicaid and various insurances that are contracted with RML Specialty Hospital.
- Works independently to cover the department when Admitting Supervisor is on vacation or otherwise unavailable. Ensures that the department is covered at all times. If Admitting Supervisor is not available, reports to the Director of Patient Financial Services.
- Responsible for coverage at both locations, either Hinsdale or Chicago, as needed.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & CHARACTERISTICS
Skills & Abilities
The communication skills needed to interact with hospital Managers, departmental staff, patients and external parties in resolving problems.
The attention to detail needed to ensure accuracy in patient admission data.
Computer skills and general knowledge of office equipment in a hospital setting.
Excellent customer service skills.
Prefer 1-2 years of Meditech experience.
Knowledge & Experience
2-4 years experience in hospital Admitting and Registration processes.
Extensive knowledge of insurance rules and regulations, including Medicare, Medicaid, BC/S, Group Insurances, secondary payers, Medicare exhaust, Self Pay agreements, and hospital insurance contracts.
Ability to explain insurance coverage/benefits to patients and families.
Prefer 4-6 years hospital Admitting and Registration experience.
High School graduate or equivalent.
Must be able to travel to both RML locations (Chicago/Hinsdale) as needed.
Must be available to work weekends, holidays, and different shifts to accommodate staffing needs at both locations on an as needed or rotating basis.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not exhaustive lists of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions associated with it.
9am - 5:30pm Mon - Fri
(occasional) On call hours from 6pm - 9pm + 10am - 2pm on weekends
1.0 FTE; 80 hours per pay period.
RML Specialty Hospital
HealthcareView all jobs at RML Specialty Hospital