RMK Merrill-Stevens, Florida’s Oldest Shipyard, is under Major Renovation requiring a Marine Fiberglass Technician. Work must be of the highest international standards to meet Classification Society Requirements of ABS, Lloyds and the US Coast Guard. Our customers and employees need the full support of a detail oriented Marine Finish Painter with full working knowledge of various finishes such as varnish, shellac, and enamels.
As a member of our fiberglass department, you must have a strong knowledge of mold making, lamination, lay-up, one-off parts manufacturing and general fiberglass repairs. Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to, repairing fiberglass cosmetic blemishes and major damages. In addition, taking responsibility, maintaining flexibility and safely performing multiple duties and tasks under stressful, potentially hazardous and fast-paced conditions while contributing to the success of the organization as a high-performing team member are all requirements to satisfactory meet your job expectations.
- Identify defects such as: cracks, blisters, stress fractures and cosmetic flaws.
- Estimate repair times, plan for materials, coordinate jobs with management
- Grind out defective areas, smooth rough edges/areas by using appropriate power or hand-tools.
- Prep fiberglass, resins, and damaged areas for repair.
- Shape and smooth edges to match contour properly.
- Mix Gel coat catalyst and spray or brush repaired surfaces; match colors.
- Buff and polish repaired surfaces.
- Overtime, nights and weekend work may be required as customer service needs fluctuate.
Required Experience and Education:
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Vocational/Technical school high preferred.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience within the marine industry.
- Marine certification preferred but not required.
Required Service & Interpersonal Skills:
- Tendency to display endurance and capacity for a fast pace.
- Able to work independently at times and make sound decisions.
- Knows limitations and when to ask for help.
- The ability to stoop, crouch, pull, push, reach, hear, near vision, kneel, talk, stand, grasp and lift to 50 lbs. while working around moving machinery on a moving ship.
- Uses correct language; speaks clearly; listens.
- Greets clients; is respectful; is courteous; has acceptable attitude.
- Expresses ideas and thoughts well verbally; exhibits good listening and comprehension.
- Speaks politely and respectfully with all members of the organization.
- Deals directly with co-workers to resolve misunderstandings; does not gossip or complain.
- Follows-up quickly and completely; keeps management informed of situations and outcomes.
Attendance & Punctuality:
- Punctual to work; has good attendance; uses good judgment.
- Attends meetings when directed; follows company policies/goals.
- Understands need for adhering to set schedules and deadlines.
- Maintains 100% attendance, punching in/out within established guidelines (No Early Ins/Late Outs) and begins working on time.
- Uses Deputy Scheduling System (via app or iPad Kiosk) to punch in/out, manage schedule, request time off and communicate to manager regarding scheduling issues.
- Leaves for/returns from breaks on time. Punches out/in when leaving yard during breaks.
- Is always at assigned vessel or “on-task” except during break periods.
Safety & Security:
- Follows safety, security and/or sanitation policies.
- Demonstrates legal and ethical behavior within the scope of job.
- Always uses required and appropriate safety equipment at all times.
- Actively maintains appropriate housekeeping practices and standards.
To support our Major Renovation, we are hiring
Experienced Marine Professionals in All Departments including
Marine Trades, Project Management, Shipyard Services and Facility Maintenance.
RMK Merrill-Stevens is an Equal Opportunity Employer