The Software/Systems Engineer ensures that Company's computer systems function optimally, efficiently and securely to support the organization's information technology needs. Provides high-level network design, security and various system administration functions for UNIX environments. Develops interfaces between corporate systems in support of business initiatives and projects.
1. Ensure that aspects of corporate system architecture are driven by the business imperatives/client requirements of the organization and that the requirements driving the overall architecture are managed
consistently and effectively.
2. Assesses requirements, presents and advises on system engineering based recommendations and governance processes that are in line with the strategic vision for the enterprise and wider best practice.
3. Configures, deploys and administers defined technology/systems (e.g., hardware, operating systems, network and middleware) in support of on-going operations and projects.
4. Administers the Windows, Linux and UNIX servers as directed.
5. Automates systems monitoring tasks using standard monitoring tools.
6. Troubleshoots and debugs environment and infrastructure problems found in the production and nonproduction environments.
7. Updates and upgrades the systems regularly in order to maintain peak functionality.
8. Data backup management, scheduling and reporting for both internal corporate systems and data center (NOC) systems.
9. Implements and manages technologies to interact with databases and render information in a usable format for all eBusiness initiatives, including real-time web services and batch processing.
10. Assists the IT department in high level network design, network security and in HP-UX server administration.
11. Assists in software quality assurance initiatives involving software testing, verification and validation.
12. Authors internal documentation, such as environment diagrams, installation/configuration documents and release notes.
13. Assists in establishing and implementing configuration management program and policies.
14. Works with other team members in IT, QA, and Project Management to plan the deployment of software releases and continuously improve the software configuration processes.
15. Manages and controls the continuous release promotion cycle for designated systems (manually short term, through automation long-term) including the following environments: development, test, validation and production.
16. Develops deployment scripts on a lifecycle automation platform for the orchestration, integration and automation of build promotions and software releases.
17. Assists on special projects and perform additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Technology, related field of study
- Minimum 4 years experience working as a systems engineer or related position.
- Experience with server operating systems such as Windows Server 20XX, HP-UX, LINUX
- Experience with server software programs such as Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SQL Server, SharePoint Server, IIS, Apache, Tomcat, and some exposure to Enterprise RDBMS (Progress/Oracle) and other server software.
- Experience with network and system security solutions.
- Experience in software development methodologies and structured approaches to system development
- Two to three years experience in high-level network design and security.
- Two to three years prior experience deploying and supporting Windows servers and workstations.
- Two to three years prior experience with hardware installations
- Specific Licenses and/or Certifications:
- Solid knowledge of C, C++,Perl/PHP, HTML, XML and Java programming languages and different operating systems
- Functional knowledge of backup systems including exposure to NAS/SAN based backup models
- Proficiency with relational database analysis, design, and development.
- Exceptional analytical, organizational and problem solving abilities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical users.
- Ability to work independently or as a team with individuals at varying levels within the organization.
- Ability to multi-task within or across projects with minimal direction.
- Ability to excel under time constraints and in high pressure situations and manage time effectively.
- Cross-platform integration experience
- Knowledge of basic project management, risk analysis best practices
- Items that are a "plus”
- Certification in SharePoint Administration and/or Configuration
- CISSP or similar Certification
- Strong scripting and scheduling skills (At/Cron etc.), System and Network diagnostics, such as Wireshark, Nessus, Nmap, Procmon ( Process Monitor)