Senior Art Director
- Posted: March 22, 2021
It is an exciting time for RED VELVET, as we've pivoted from the DMC model and are focusing on experience strategy and design, fostering strong client relationships and end-to-end brand solutions via digital, hybrid and live experiences.
With 10+ years of art director experience, you are key to the agency team as you lead the creative process within the pod. You do this by generating innovative concepts for our clients' programs and initiatives and bring these solutions to life with the broader team, which includes collaboration with account, program and marketing disciplines. In addition to ideation, you craft physical and digital materials for our experiences, including (but not limited to) winning custom proposals, signage, event-related collateral, branding and decor.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS & SKILLS:
- Initiative and eagerness to learn
- Is highly collaborative and demonstrates the ability to build and maintain positive inter-departmental relationships
- Imaginative and curious - is a student of our industry, but possesses an enthusiasm and hunger for understanding others and is a trend-spotter
- Is solution-obsessed; can handle set-backs with composure and is able to change direction quickly
- Inspires positivity and confidence among the team
- Goes the extra mile - leans in
- Asks bigger questions beyond the brief and explores what could be possible
- Knows when to be buttoned up (hold your ground) and when to be loose (flexibility)
- Has sharp instincts - knows when to compromise and knows when to challenge the status quo (is socially adept)
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & JOB REQUIREMENTS
KEY JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Position is based in Austin, Texas.
- Technical Skills: must know Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop - other CS programs a plus), MS Office, and Google Suite. Background in experiential design is considered a plus. Would be an extra plus if he/she knows HTML, CSS, Wordpress.
- Must already have laptop and Adobe Creative Cloud - Illustrator, InDesign, & Photoshop are the only required programs
- Interested in working in a start-up type environment / open office environment and able to work with little supervision and in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment
- Dress appropriately for client meetings and on-site event management
- Comfortable with all forms of communication (e-mail, phone and in-person)
- Can perform equally efficiently whether that be at the office or remote with a diverse team.
- Available to work evenings and weekends when necessary
- Partner with pod to develop brief and pay it off with innovative concepts and solutions that help seize marketing and communication opportunities or solve problems based on what you know about the client, their industry and culture
- Lead design of proposal/pitch deck, in collaboration with the team, ensuring a beautiful, thoughtful and strategic output that helps RED VELVET win the business and participate, when possible, in the selling of ideas
- Lead conceptualization and design of programs of all sizes (events, activations, and experiences) from ideation to execution by translating a concept into a two (if digital) and three (if live) dimensional place and work with the Program Lead and team to bring this to life within budget parameters.
- Partner with pod to ensure creative integrity/continuity throughout a program once it has been sold in; remain flexible and positive within the team as client needs and/or budgets change, but ultimately taking care that the overall design, spatial flow and environment of an experience is on strategy.
- Play a lead role in client presentations and successfully pitch and sell through concepts, respond appropriately to feedback and communicate RED VELVET's vision for each program
- Direct creative elements that support the overarching program experience, including but not limited to a number of touchpoints: print graphics, including signage and way-finding; digital graphics; digital spaces; experience and/or branded collateral; web design; fabrication; furniture, decor and lighting; attire, giveaways/gifts, social media, visual retail merchandising
- Be onsite during program with the pod to ensure flawless install and execution of concepts and creative elements as well as trouble-shoot, where needed (note, candidate must be physically able to lift/sit/stand for prolonged periods of time, if needed for onsite setup/install for live events)
- Partner with Account Lead and Marketing Lead to ensure marketing materials for program are based on and paying off the narrative set forth in the program playbook
- Work Ethic & Craft:
- Articulate and defend your POV with the larger team
- Keep seeking direction vs. waiting for it
- Possess a strong visual aesthetic with the ability to see the big picture, as well as the tiny details
- Show domain competency in the events and activations world by designing beautiful and impactful experiences that leverage the unique qualities of the medium
- Possess strong typography skills, understanding of color theory
- Continue improving your presentation skills by presenting often
- Stay proactive and demonstrate ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Have excellent time management skills and a sense of urgency
- Possess the level of professionalism to work alongside clients of all levels
- Collaborate with the pod to make design decisions about what is presented to client and how
- Know how to effectively work across - and leverage the strengths of - other disciplines and remain open to working with other ideators within the agency as great ideas come from any discipline
- Stay aware of cultural events and trends in the experiential space that may affect our industry and our clients' and their audiences and educate the team
- Maintain RED VELVET business integrity by conducting all matters fairly, honestly and ethically and with the utmost professionalism
If you made it this far & are still interested, please apply and tell us what makes you ROCK as a Senior Art Director. Please include digital samples of your portfolio. No phone calls please. We will respond to candidates who have qualified for the first round of interviews.
DISCLAIMER: This job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates within this classification. It is not designed to confirm or be interpreted as a comprehensive summary of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of associates assigned to this job.
RED VELVET is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
** This is a role that, while not open at the moment, we're always looking for top performers to join our fantasy team. We encourage interested applicants to apply - as we regularly review the applicants to find matches for these opportunities.
RED VELVET is a full-service live and virtual experiences agency partnering with global brands to ideate, design and execute their experiential events since 2002. RED VELVET helps corporations create international award-winning event experiences of all sizes. Our team's strength is in listening to our client's goals and translating that to an incredible interactive & creative event experience - fun for the planners and memorable for the attendees.
(Applies to full time employees)
TEAM MEMBER CRITERIA
When we are looking to expand our team, we are always looking for people who are wired in many of the same ways we are but who also possess complementary skill sets and bring diversity to our thinking, designing and execution. If you thrive on problem-solving, taking a strategic approach to most things in life, holding yourself and others to high standards of excellence, juggling a handful of deadlines each day and pride yourself on doing it all with optimism, you'll fit right in. Extreme organization and client-facing skills are requirement across all positions as well as being very comfortable and versatile across digital mediums (Microsoft Outlook, Google Drive, Slack, etc). Prior agency/experiential marketing and/or meeting planning industry experience is a huge plus.
In addition to a great opportunity to work for one of the Best Places to Work (declared in 2015 by , and , , and by Austin Business Journal), all full-time employees receive the following benefits:
- Competitive health plan, with premiums for employee covered and premiums for family members subsidized by RED VELVET
- Monthly HSA Contribution
- Complimentary financial/retirement planning assistance
- 401(k) Plan with Matching Contribution
- Paid Membership to Industry Associations and Monthly Meetings
- Monthly Cell Phone, Fuel and Laptop Stipends
- Annual Education Stipend
- Sit/Stand Desk to burn calories while you work
- Flexible Vacation Policy and Paid Holidays
We know that the best hire is someone you enjoy working with and is a great culture fit for our fast-paced, entrepreneur-friendly, and creative environment. If you know someone who has previous experience in the hotel industry, agency/experiential marketing and/or meeting planning industry, we want to meet them.
What's in it for you? If a referral is hired full-time and stays at least 1 year with our team, you get $1,000 cold hard cash on their 1 year anniversary with RED VELVET. That simple!
Arts and Entertainment
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?