Production Supervisor (2nd Shift)
Reports To: Director of Operations
FLSA Status: Salaried (Exempt)
Summary: Leads and engages production team employees, plans, coordinates, and supervises the daily activities of their assigned department(s) to insure efficient production. Responsible for making sure all tasks performed by the production team are performed safely, efficiently and accurately to maintain and improve plant performance in the areas of safety, quality and cost control.
Essential Job Functions/Duties:
1. Oversee and monitor day-to-day operation of assigned area(s) including work flow, management of work in process, job assignments, rotations, etc. to insure “smooth flow” and efficient production
2. Participate in the scheduling process including advance production schedule review to communicate issues in a pro-active, timely manner for resolution; coordinate and communicate schedule to Leads and employees to assure daily production schedules are met.
3. Manage employee hours and headcount to insure adherence to established budget
4. Effectively orient, train and develop employees in fundamentals of production and his/her position utilizing new hire orientation process, ongoing performance feedback, position analyses and other management tools
5. Support positive employee relations, fair treatment and respect in all aspects of interaction with employees; address employee concerns/requests in a timely and caring manner; insure all employees and ideas are respected and valued and their unique and diverse perspectives are leveraged to improve business results
6. Produce and review daily production reports for schedule adherence, efficiencies and other data; provide reports and information to Operations Manager and other designated personnel as required
7. Insure Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s), Safe Quality Food (SQF), and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) requirements are followed
8. Suggest process and other cost savings improvements, tracked daily and weekly and process improvements are implemented through actions resulting in effective and efficient process flow.
9. Promote workforce safety by complying with safety policies and procedures, participating in safety-related trainings, incident reviews and corrective actions, and contributing safety suggestions for improvement.
10. Initiate employee discipline and corrective actions as needed, working with Human Resources and Management to insure fair and consistent policy application and compliance with company policy and federal, state and local laws; conduct/assist Human Resources with employee relations or other workplace investigations
11. Monitor product quality and work with R&D and QA Departments to insure customer specifications are met and GMP’s are effectively deployed
12. Review department timekeeping records on a daily basis and verify weekly time records for department staff; monitor employee attendance/absenteeism and hold employees accountable as appropriate within established company policies and practices
13. Develop relationship with maintenance staff to review Preventative Maintenance (PM) scheduling and communicate equipment issues to reduce equipment downtime
14. Liaise with sanitation, quality assurance, and other departments to communicate and resolve issues impacting production and plant performance
15. Assist in the recruitment process for department positions; develop succession plans for key personnel, including Leads; recommend merit adjustments and/or promotions to management
16. Perform miscellaneous duties and projects as assigned and required.
1. Puts the Customer First – acts with the customer in mind
2. Communicates effectively and candidly – communicates clearly and directly, approachable, relates well to others, engages people and helps them understand change, provides feedback, articulates clearly, actively listens.
3. Achieves results through teamwork – is open to diverse ideas, works collaboratively, holds self and others accountable, involves others to accomplish individual and team goals
4. Leads through positive influence – demonstrates strong character, builds partnerships, work/life balance, takes personal responsibility for developments, acts as role model to others
5. Coaches and develops others – builds teams, develops and cares about team members, values and manages diversity, provides candid and constructive feedback
6. Leads change and innovation – challenges the status quo, embraces technology and process improvements, gathers ideas of others
7. Executes with excellence – action-oriented, drives for results, sets clear expectations, reviews progress, acts decisively, solves problems
8. Provides clear and strategic direction – plans and organizes well, multi-task abilities, stays focused on priorities, visualizes and plans for the future, understands the industry and marketplace
9. Safety awareness – identifies and corrects employee behavior and conditions affecting employee safety, upholds safety standards
1. Bachelor’s Degree or combination of education and experience in a food manufacturing environment.
2. 5-7 years’ experience in a food manufacturing environment with at least two years of supervisory/leadership experience; meat/USDA experience a plus
3. Demonstrated leadership skills with a solid track record of people development, team building, conflict resolution, and the ability to train and motivate personnel to achieve efficient production results
4. Effective communication skills (verbal, written, presentation/training) and the ability to successfully interact with diverse personalities at all levels in a multi-cultural environment.
5. Experience working with manufacturing based technology, processes and principles.
6. Working knowledge of GMP’s, SOP’s, HAACP, OSHA and other quality and safety programs in food processing environments.
7. Good math and computer skills (Microsoft Suite – Excel, Word, Outlook)
8. Ability to work flexible hours including some weekend work
9. Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) a plus
10. Experience working in a non-union environment