Senior Android (Java) Developer
JOIN US IN BUILDING SOMETHING GREAT.
Hi, we’re Qorum, your free designated driver. We’re a small team of socially-conscious, serial entrepreneurs with a few successful exits under our belts. Our new company, Qorum, is backed by strategic investors across multiple industries and partners from top seed-stage venture capital funds whom all wish to make drunk driving a thing of the past.
Even though we haven’t launched quite yet, we’ve already established partnerships with Uber and several major alcohol brands to provide unlimited free Uber rides to anybody who wants or needs them.
How is this possible, you ask? Every year, alcohol brands are required to spend tens of millions of dollars on mandated “Drink Responsibly” campaigns. A lot of that money gets wasted on things like TV commercials and billboards that say “Don’t drink and drive.”. We all know those don’t work. Yet, they continue to exist.
With Qorum, alcohol brands can sponsor over 30,000 safe Uber rides per month for less than the cost of a single billboard. This way alcohol brands can put that “Drink Responsibly” money to better use to get people home (or on to their next destination) safely.
But Qorum is far more than just free Uber rides. Part local bar guide, part payments solution, our team has spent over 70,000 coding hours building a multiple-patents-pending technology platform that integrates with all major hospitality point of sale (POS) systems. With Qorum, you just walk in and out to open and close bar tabs. No more forgotten credit cards. Did we mention every drink ordered through the app is 15% off?
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR IN YOU:
We’re seeking the right people to join a scrappy, entrepreneurial team of “doers” in a role that is developmental, challenging, and personally fulfilling. This means that people might take on challenges they may not feel ready for, but have the full support of their team to try, fail, learn, and try again. This makes development a core part of working at Qorum and not just something we think about come time for performance reviews.
We are seeking to hire a Senior Android Engineer with a strong background in consumer facing mobile development. This position includes overseeing/developing future features and performance tuning the existing Android Client. This position will work closely with the product team and oversee dev resources to ensure Android client meets specifications.
This is an in-house full-time position in our Irvine Office but remote work is offered to exceptional candidates.
The technical scope of the project is broad and leverages a variety of cutting-edge commercial and open source tools to get the job done.
● 5+ years of software development experience with at least 2 years of enterprise Android (Java) development across multiple Apps/releases
● Deep knowledge and ability to apply design patterns (i.e., MVVP) and best practices
● Working knowledge of databases (i.e. MySQL) and 3rd party integration
● Experience with mobile-specific functionality, i.e. location, push notifications, and cross-app interaction
● Designed/developed apps using both API/SDK and business embedded logic to achieve mobile app’s desired functionality
● Experience implementing third-party SDKs on Android (Social Media, Google, Uber, Zendesk)
● Mobile design patterns, architecture, and test driven development
● Ability to troubleshoot/analyze mobile application issues
● Provide and update requisite documentation related to Mobile app(s) architecture/code
● Provide continuous analysis and recommend improvements to Mobile applications
● DevOps methodologies and use of Atlassian tools suite (i.e. JIRA, Confluence)
● You have managed developers in a fast paced environment
● Experience with secure applications development
● Experience in tuning and optimizing app responsiveness, memory/CPU consumption, bandwidth/IO usage, and caching/local data/asset storage
● You can ensure service scalability through effective code
● UX/UI experience a plus
● Experience and/or interest in learning other areas of development such as building front-end SPA's (React), iOS mobile development, or back-end REST api's (Node.js/Express preferably)
Nice to Have’s, but not expected
● Past experience in early-stage startup
● Knowledge of hospitality technology and POS systems
WHY THIS ROLE IS COOL:
● Work with a small, VC-backed team that has learned the value of teamwork, out of the box thinking, and effective communication to steer startups to successful exits across multiple industries.
● Be at the front lines of launching a disruptive technology
● Unlimited opportunity for growth, development, and advancement
● Opportunity to work remotely and on a flexible schedule
WHAT YOU’LL GET FROM US:
● An opportunity to join a true start-up environment – No rules, no bureaucracy and the opportunity to make a real impact on a business that is continuously evolving
● Meaningful work aimed at tackling motor vehicle accidents, the leading cause of death for people under 35
● The ability to witness and be a part of a team building technology that will change the way you and your friends go out every night
● The camaraderie and unparalleled opportunities to be part of a driven, agile team that is building something truly disruptive
● An organization dedicated to making sure you're challenged, learning, growing and recognized for the great work you do
● Company-sponsored lunches and outings at our partner venues