7th Grade Science Teacher
- Expired: August 02, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
Who is Purpose Built Schools Atlanta?
Purpose Built Schools, in partnership with Atlanta Public Schools (APS), operates three neighborhood schools in south Atlanta: Slater Elementary School, Price Middle School and Carver STEAM Academy (high school). Purpose Built Schools works to deliver outstanding results for students and the surrounding communities through high-quality instruction, intentional enrichment opportunities and a strategic approach to serving families’ needs beyond the school walls. By combining the best of traditional public schools with the best of charter schools, Purpose Built Schools offers a proven program designed to put all students on a trajectory for success through college and in their careers.
What makes us different?
Our students attend an extended school day to accommodate extended learning and enrichment opportunities – so students can see themselves succeed in multiple ways. Our teachers have time to collaborate, plan and learn.
Our project-based learning instructional method emphasizes problem-solving and real-world application. This empowers teachers to guide students to become creative critical thinkers, collaborative leaders and skilled communicators so that they can succeed in the 21st century.
Our schools are the center of community life. We have counselors, therapists, family engagement teams, and even lawyers to help care for our students. We offer competitive salaries within a supportive environment designed to lift up our students, our families and our teachers.
Our Purpose Built Schools Team
OUR TEACHERS ARE LEADERS
Unlike many public schools, we have a robust and comprehensive professional development program, and are committed to building a leadership pipeline from within, supporting and cultivating our future school leadership team.
OUR TEACHERS ARE INNOVATORS
Purpose Built Schools teachers are encouraged to identify opportunities to meet the needs of students and our community, and they have access to resources to try their ideas.
OUR TEACHERS MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Purpose Built Schools teachers have a fierce belief in their students, a relentless commitment to working hard, and the tenacity to do hard work.
What would my role be?
Teachers are responsible for providing research-based instruction aligned with the Georgia Performance Standards and Georgia Standards of Excellence. The teacher will integrate a variety of research-based resources and strategies to support instruction. Per the vision of the school, teachers will focus on literacy and math as critical foundations, and create interdisciplinary learning opportunities (e.g., integration of content from STEAM disciplines) while fostering 21st century skills in students.
The teacher works as a team member both within the classroom, across the grade level team, and vertically with other grade levels. Teams of teachers will have the opportunity to plan together, attend professional development together, and perfect their craft as educators.
Teachers will administer a variety of assessments to monitor student progress (e.g., authentic, curriculum-based, criterion-referenced, norm-referenced), maintain open lines of communication with parents and/or guardians, and plan instruction. They will integrate technology into their teaching, as appropriate.
What would my responsibilities be?
1. Effective Classroom Instruction
- Planning, implementing, and monitoring instruction and interventions as part of a Multi-Tiered System of Support/Response to Intervention structure.
- Leveraging robust research-based curricula, resources, and strategies to enhance instruction.
- Using a variety of data collection measures to drive instruction and intervention.
- Designing inquiry-driven classroom experiences with a STEAM (STEM + the Arts) focus.
- Fostering classroom culture that facilitates intrinsic drive for learning and personal growth among students.
2. Personal and Professional Growth
- Participating in joint planning during teacher planning time.
- Reﬂecting on teaching practices and seeking appropriate help and support from the leadership team.
- Collaborating through learning communities on topics of mutual interest, such as vertical alignment of the curriculum, literacy strategies, etc.
3. Collaborative and Team Oriented
- Leading joint planning or collaborative learning communities, when appropriate to the teacher’s interests and strengths.
- Supporting assistant teachers, paraprofessionals, practicum students, and any other team members in their professional growth especially with regards to supporting all members of the team to deliver high-quality literacy and math foundations to all students.
- Mentoring new or established teachers as needed.
4. Serving the Whole Child
- Proactively communicate with family and/or guardians.
- Involve community stakeholders in learning experiences for students, when appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master's Degree preferred.
- T4-T7 Teaching Certificate in a core academic content area required.
Physical Abilities and Working Conditions
The physical abilities and other conditions of continued employment listed in this section are representative of, but are not intended to provide an exhaustive list of physical abilities and other conditions of continued employment which may be required of positions in this class. Purpose Built Schools Atlanta encourages persons with disabilities who are interested in employment in this class and need reasonable accommodation of those disabilities to contact the Human Resources Department for further information.
- Vision: Ability to read small print and view a computer screen for prolonged periods.
- Hearing: Ability to answer telephones and tolerate exposure to noisy conditions.
- Speech: Ability to be understood in face-to-face communications; to speak with a level of proficiency and volume to be understood over a telephone.
- Upper Body Mobility: Ability to use hands and fingers to feel, grasp, and manipulate small objects; manipulate fingers, twist and bend at wrist and elbow; extend arms to reach outward and upward; use hands and arms to lift objects; turn, raise, and lower head.
- Strength: Ability to lift, push, pull and/or carry objects which weigh as much as 5 or more pounds on a frequent basis. Incumbent may be required to physically restrain parties involved in a conflict.
- Environmental Requirements: Ability to encounter constant work interruptions; work cooperatively with others; work independently; work indoors.
- Mental Requirements: Ability to read, write, understand, interpret and apply information at a moderately complex level essential for successful job performance; math skills at a high school proficiency level; judgment and the ability to process information quickly; learn quickly and follow verbal procedures and standards; give verbal instruction; rank tasks in order of importance; copy, compare, compile and coordinate information and records.
Purpose Built Schools Atlanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Purpose Built Schools Atlanta assures Equal Employment Opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, management and administration reserve the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position.
Purpose Built Schools Atlanta
EducationView all jobs at Purpose Built Schools Atlanta