The Crisis Coordinator role is an integral part of PMC’s Telehealth division. The purpose of the position is to be the first point of contact when the Emergency Departments identify a patient in need of a psychiatric assessment. The Crisis Coordinators determine next steps by working with Emergency Department (ED) representatives over the phone to determine the crisis and immediate needs, and then identify appropriate resources and connect clients to assistance. This role will organize documents, assign cases to the providers, communicate with the ED staff in order to assist the Psych providers in completing a Psychiatric/Substance Use Disorder Crisis assessment. The Crisis Coordinator communicates the outcome of the assessments with the ED staff and will begin finding inpatient, residential placement, CSU, or outpatient placement as directed by the psychiatric providers. The Crisis Coordinator contributes to a positive team dynamic and provides excellent patient centered service.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Crisis Coordinator duties shall include, but not be limited to, the following as it supports PMC’s 3Cs Mission of:
● Care – Provide the best possible patient care
● Compliance – Ensure the program operates within all regulations
● Community – Become a wonderful addition to your local community
A. Care: All employees are expected to provide the best possible patient care.
Ensure patient psychiatric/substance use care needs are met while they are in the EDs.
Possess excellent computer skills while managing two screens at one time.
Ensure all required documentation is available prior to assigning the case to the provider.
Complete daily progress report at the beginning of each shift.
Document a progress note for each interaction regarding the patient who, what time, where, why.
Use basic understanding of legal issues in commitments, guardianship, and voluntary status when talking with ED staff, providers, and inpatient/residential units.
Use basic medical terminology and understanding of CMP blood work, Urine Drug screens and normal vital signs when communicating with providers and the ED.
Uses basic understanding of psychiatric diagnosis and terminology when communicating with psychiatric providers, EDs, and inpatient psychiatric units.
Use strong customer service and strong telephone skills in locating placement for patients.
Use critical thinking skills when confronted with a more difficult case.
Complete all calls and tasks within the time allowed.
Provide shift report to the Director Crisis Services each shift, as assigned.
Use strong communication both written and verbal to communicate with the ED staff, Psychiatric providers, and the inpatient units.
B. Compliance: Ensure the program operates within all regulations.
Have a basic understanding of EMTALA
Complete Care Match data collection as indicated.
Have a basic understanding of insurance providers in each state.
Maintain strict patient confidentiality.
C. Community: Become a wonderful addition to your local community.
Represent ITP in a professional manner to enhance relationships with the ITP team and the hospital staff.
Use excellent interpersonal skills to be a strong team member
Attend 75% of monthly Crisis Coordinator meetings.
Participate in community/organizational activities as assigned.
● Education: HS Diploma required, with Associates degree or equivalent experience with behavioral and or medical setting preferred.
● Experience: 1-2 years of experience in providing care to Behavioral health or substance use disorder patients preferred.
● Previous experience in case management, crisis intervention, diagnosis and treatment planning, emergency/trauma highly desired.
● Experience performing clerical duties, working with computers and electronic medical records, and telephones.
● Knowledge of community resources for psychiatric and substance use patients throughout the state.
● Previous healthcare software experience desired.
● Demonstratable critical thinking skills.
● Excellent customer service skills.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Proficient in problem solving.
● Strong efficiency skills, able to properly prioritize and escalate.
● Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
● Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels and from various backgrounds, while exhibiting extreme patience and kindness.
● Commitment to excellence and high standards.
● Ability to manage priorities and workflow.
This job works in a professional office environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
● This position does not have any direct reports.
The Crisis Coordinator position reports directly to the Crisis Services Director.
***This position is M-F but they might have to cover some night shifts/weekend shifts.***