SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Registered Nurse has the training and expertise necessary to provide nursing care and to assist the Radiation Oncologist, Radiation Therapists, and Medical Physicists. All assigned duties and responsibilities are to be executed by the Registered Nurse according to the nurse scope of practice and in accordance with clinical and company policy and procedure.
· Interview, assess, and document clinical data in new patient consultations and follow-up visits, weekly treatment visits, and procedure appointments
· Schedule and coordinate clinical appointments and procedures as ordered by physician or extender
· Provide and document oncology, diagnostic, and treatment education to patients
· Obtain, review, and take appropriate action on laboratory and diagnostic test results
· Assist with diagnostic exams and procedures
· Measure and document patient vital statistics
· Administer medications and treatments as ordered by physician or physician extender
· Clean and disinfect medical instruments
· Attend clinical cancer meetings and tumor conferences
· Audit, document, and order clinic medications and supplies
· Provide excellent care for all patients, regardless of age, race, sexual orientation, or religion
· Obtain required insurance pre-certifications/authorizations, referrals and approvals as required by payors
· Input, review, and reconcile all daily and weekly patient charges
· Answer and document all internal and external patient communication (i.e. phone messages, portal communication)
· Sort, scan and file patient internal and external reports, consultations, histories into Oncology Information Management System
· Diploma, Associates, or Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
· Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of Tennessee
· Oncology Nursing Experience preferred
· Basic Life Support certification required
· Advanced Cardiac Life Support preferred
· Proficient PC-based computer software skills
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Frequent bending, reaching, repetitive hand movements, standing, walking, squatting and sitting, with some heavy lifting, pushing and pulling exerted regularly throughout a regular work shift is required
· Exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluids, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic environment is expected.
· Must be able to exert up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 20 lbs. of force frequently
· Must be able to exert up to 10 lbs. of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, (including the human body)
· Must be able to safely support the full weight of a patient when necessary.
· Hearing must be adequate to perform job duties in person and over the telephone. Able to use stethoscope and respond to verbal questions.
· Visual acuity must be adequate to perform job duties, including visual examination of patient and reading information from printed sources and computer screens
· Communication Skills: Effective oral and written communication. Expresses self in a clear, concise manner. Listens and follows directions. Documents accurately and thoroughly. Prepares concise and readable reports and notes.
· Interaction Skills: Works and interacts with others in a cooperative and positive manner. Treats others with courtesy, dignity and respect. Considerate of others. Treats patients with empathy and caring through individual actions.
· Teamwork: Promotes achievement of group goals. Supports group decisions through individual action. Contributes to overall department and System goals. Develops cooperation among teams, departments, customers and suppliers.
· Attendance & Punctuality: Maintains an acceptable level of attendance and/or punctuality. Consistently reports when scheduled. Returns from breaks promptly and on time. Works until end of shift. Provides proper notice of reports off.
· Health and Safety: Performs work in a safe manner. Promotes a safe and healthy work environment. Promptly reports accidents, injuries or unsafe or hazardous conditions. Maintains a neat, clean, professional image; adheres to dress code. Maintains a clean and organized work area.
· Corporate Compliance: Promotes prevention of fraud, abuse & waste. Reports instances of fraud, abuse, and waste. Completes required compliance training. Reviews and follows company and clinical policy and procedure.