Stamford Health has an immediate need for a Physician Assistant to work in the department of Cardiothoracic Surgery. This Physician Assistant must be state licensed. This PA will assist in the evaluation, and treatment of patient’s pre – surgical and post surgery. Under the direction of or in consultation with a physician, they will provide a broad spectrum of patient care including assisting in the operating room and following the patient through the ICU. Experienced candidates or new graduates with a passion for CT Surgery are welcome to apply. Group offers excellent compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
MAJOR ACCOUNTABILITIES/CRITICAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Takes medical histories and performs physical examinations, utilizing appropriate diagnostic techniques; evaluates physical signs, symptoms, and medical history to assess patient's physical condition; performs selected technical, surgical, and therapeutic procedures under the supervision of a physician.
2. May order and interpret lab data, radiological examinations, and diagnostic tests.
3. Completes accurate and appropriate orders; develops treatment plans in conjunction with physician; administers treatments and medications prescribed by physicians; documents all aspects of care according to standards.
4. Recognizes and evaluates patients who require immediate attention of a physician, and, when necessary, initiates,
without supervision, emergency medical treatments.
5. Provides clinical management of the cardiac surgery patient in the acute care and ICU setting
6. May provide education, instruction, and counseling as indicated after assessing the learning needs of the patient and family regarding their plan of care and discharge planning.
7. Assists in the CVOR by providing the following : May not be all inclusive (see core privileges delineation)
Open and close mediastinal and other thoracic incisions to include mediansternotomy.
Harvest of venous and arterial conduit by open or endoscopic means.
Harvest of the internal mammary artery.
Repair of the femoral artery and or vein.
Close surgical incisions; close any/all dermal structures.