The Director of Manufacturing Operations, Sheet Metal, plans, directs, and coordinates manufacturing operations to achieve Protolabs operating objectives. Has overall responsibility for one of Protolabs' plants - personnel, processes, manufacturing activities and maintenance.
Specific duties include:
- Responsible for promoting a culture of Safety at all times. Ensure all aspects of Safety (training, awareness, PPE’s, urgency, communication, etc.) are given the highest priority.
- Inspire culture of engagement, empowerment and individual ownership of operational performance results.
- Responsible to ensure key performance indicators (e.g. OTD, rework, NC’s, etc.) are continuously improved. Set goals and initiate tasks and projects as appropriate to drive business results.
- Owner of the manufacturing budgets for the area. Accountable for achieving gross margin targets.
- Responsible for process engineering, implementing and sustaining the manufacturing processes and procedures ensuring high quality parts and efficient operations.
- Responsible for selecting manufacturing processes appropriate to deliver the product roadmap.
- Accountable to create, maintain and communicate a manufacturing operations roadmap that aligns to the company strategy.
- Accountable for deployment of the company strategy within the manufacturing operations, ensuring alignment.
- Develop and motivate a strong Team with an eye towards succession planning.
- Drive continuous improvement through the principles of Proto Excellence (Kaizens, 5S, engagement, visual control, etc.)
- Accountable for assuring good business readiness and change management practices.
- Ensures assigned staff are qualified and appropriately trained for assigned work.
- Directly or indirectly supervises all manufacturing employees at that location.
- Lead the settings of goals for the Team that are consistent with corporate objectives.
- Develop and execute sound policies, plans, and procedures for a Protolabs manufacturing facility, including, but not limited to, the areas of staffing, scheduling, fabricating, building, inventory planning, manufacturing operations, and product quality.
- Facilitate identification of problem areas (e.g., bottlenecks or increased errors due to manual intervention) and ensure implementation of solutions to promote effective, efficient and economic business practices.
- Write and deliver annual performance evaluations for direct reports.
- Promote actions consistent with professional and ethical behavior.
- Keep direct reports informed on all significant matters which he/she and members of his/her staff must know to effectively manage their areas of accountability.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- 8 or more years of relevant manufacturing and/or operations management
- Significant people management experience as a middle manager or higher
- Strong written and oral communication skills: able to communicate complex technical information to all levels of the organization, able to clearly present data in written and verbal form
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong attention to detail and experience with managing project documents and producing quality content
- Self-motivated and self-directed with high sense of urgency
- Able to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented work environment
- Strong time management skills with the ability to successfully perform within a project framework including defined deliverables and time frames
- Concurrently solve immediate issues while maintaining a vision of the future
- A background or working knowledge of sheet metal fabrication
- Experience working within a Continuous Improvement environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or an engineering discipline
All Proto Labs facilities in the United States are ITAR-compliant operations. Due to ITAR regulations, Proto Labs is only able to employ U.S. Citizens, lawful permanent residents (green card holders) or foreign nationals granted refugee or asylee status. Individuals with temporary visas (e.g. E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, TN or OPT) are not eligible for hire.
Proto Labs, Inc. is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer