About Proteus Fund and Rise Together Fund
Proteus Fund partners with foundations, advocates and individual donors to advance democracy, human rights and peace. We work towards the realization of a just, equitable and democratic world. Our current major initiatives work to address money in politics and protect judicial independence and freedom of assembly; to counter anti-Muslim sentiment and build the capacity of organizations representing Muslim, Arab, and South Asian communities; and to support collaboration between reproductive justice and LGBTQ advocates and faith leaders to protect fundamental rights.
As the only national donor collaborative dedicated to supporting Muslim, Arab, and South Asian (MASA) communities, the RISE Together Fund bolsters the critical work of MASA individuals, organizations and communities to defend and uphold the Rights of their communities, leading to Inclusion in a just, multi-racial democracy. Our name reflects our understanding that we must build relationships and Solidarity within the MASA field and with allies across social and racial justice movements in order to realize Equity and justice in America. We will achieve Rights, Inclusion, Solidarity, and Equity (RISE) Together.
The RISE Together Fund (RTF) (formerly known as the Security & Rights Collaborative) is a collaborative grantmaking program supporting a diverse field of organizations working to address profiling, discrimination, hate crimes, anti-Muslim bigotry and xenophobia. Through strategic grantmaking, programming, and field coordination, the RTF works to build the capacity of organizations representing MASA communities to protect rights, advance policy reform, and shift the narrative around issues at the core of our democracy and society.
The RISE Together Fund (RTF) is seeking a Grant Writer to engage with our expanded portfolio of funder partners and prospects. The Grant Writer will play a critical role in ensuring RTF has the resources to meet the increasing needs of the MASA field we support. This position is designed to raise money for a cutting-edge donor collaborative that works with a diverse field of grantees and partners in a dynamic environment.
This full-time, 40 hour per week position reports to Shireen Zaman, Director of RTF. Ideally, the position will be based in Washington, DC but, remote locations will be considered.
- Writes, edits and submits proposal narratives and reports to foundations and individual donors.
- Manages and assembles all materials for proposal and report submissions, including, but not limited to: cover letters, letters of intent, proposal forms, concept papers, program budgets, etc.
- Maintains a robust tracking system of all prospect and donor engagement, reporting and proposal deadlines, implements and assigns tasks as needed and tracks progress on all development- related projects.
- Communicates with RTF donors regarding submissions, questions about guidelines, acknowledgement of grants, etc.
- Coordinates timely execution of proposal and report submissions, including coordinating input from RTF Program Officers, review from RTF Program Director, and timely communication of financial reporting and budget needs with Proteus Fund finance team.
- Provides writing support for major individual donor correspondence and outreach materials.
- Writes and edits promotional materials for RISE Together Fund, including a year-end report and updates on RTF activities for internal and external audiences.
- Works with the RTF team to meet or exceed annual fundraising goals.
Fundraising Strategy and Research
- Builds a working knowledge on the substance, dynamics and priorities within the field of national security, racial justice and civil rights and demonstrates sensitivity and cultural competency related to the work of the MASA field to best frame engagement with donors and prospects.
- Reviews and incorporates internal and external evaluation of RTF grantmaking and programming into grant reports and proposals.
- Provides support to Program Director for outreach to new prospective donors, including
- Research funding prospects and preparing for donor meetings.
- Prospect predisposition planning, including crafting compelling outreach to prospects.
Events and Communications
- Works with RTF Program Director & Program Assistant to conceive of and implement special events for program donors and/or prospects, including advance planning for and implementation of tailored follow-ups
- Attends semiannual meetings of the RISE Together Fund donor partners, to assist with logistics and keep abreast of donor interests and concerns.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A skilled writer: The Grant Writer must possess excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills, and be comfortable writing under deadline and as opportunities arise.
- Passionate about a just, multiracial democracy: The RTF team supports and works alongside the MASA field as we pursue this vision and we are seeking someone with that shared passion.
- A team player: While the Grant Writer plays a key role in raising funds to support the collaborative, they will have exposure to all areas of our work; and will collaborate with the entire RTF team to meet their goals.
To be successful in this role, the Grant Writer will need:
- Bachelor’s degree and five+ years of experience in writing proposals and reports to foundation and individual donors
- To be detail oriented
- Experience working in or with MASA communities
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple high-priority tasks and responsibilities under tight deadlines and schedules
- Versatility and adaptability to a team-focused, fast-paced and sometimes stressful environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Time management and personal organization
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team
- Computer literacy skills, experience working with Donor Perfect, Raisers Edge, or similar fundraising data management systems a plus.
- Facility with web portal applications for submitting reports and proposals.
The Proteus Fund offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive, progressive benefit program to attract, retain, and motivate a high-performing and dedicated workforce. The starting salary range is 65K-75K and may be negotiated based on experience.
For immediate consideration, please provide cover letter and resume by February 3, 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Proteus Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Proteus encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.