Propulsion Controls Engineering’s (PCE) purpose is to provide the highest quality services to meet the needs of our customers while ensuring a safe and beneficial workplace for our employees. PCE has a current opening for a Quality Assurance NDT Inspector II, at our Everett WA location.
Responsible for conducting in-process and final Nondestructive Testing (NDT) inspections utilizing Visual and Liquid Penetrant test methods ensuring compliance with technical requirements for reliability and quality conformance. Schedules, conducts, observes, records, and submits testing and inspection results for work certification. Also responsible for the safe conduct of in-process and final operational checkpoints which requires not only an understanding of the technical aspect of the test, but also all required safety practices, undistracted situational awareness and complete focus on the task.
- Demonstrates a great eye for detail, a willingness to embrace and endorse strict processes and policies and the ability to accurately document the completion of all tests and inspections in a timely manner.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of applicable welding and inspection requirements, NAVSEA Standard Items, basic work specifications and any applicable drawings or technical publications; clearly interpreting and applying the guidance of these references on the job site.
- Conducts detailed Visual and Liquid Penetrant inspections associated with (but not limited to) the following: NSTP 278 - Requirements for Fabrication Welding and Inspection, and Casting Inspection and Repair for Machinery, Piping, and Pressure Vessels; Mil Std 22D – Welded Joint Designs; Mil Std 1689 – Fabrication, Welding, and Inspection of Ships Structure; NAVSEA 7000 – Fabrication and Inspection of Brazed Piping Systems, and Mil Std 2035 – Nondestructive Testing and Acceptance Criteria.
- Demonstrates a complete understanding of the requirements for performing work in conjunction with Process Control Procedures (PCP’s) including; development and approval, in process control, work completion, testing and certification, and Objective Quality Evidence (OQE) supporting final required reports.
- Initiates Corrective Action Reports required for the correction of deficiencies /discrepancies related to completion of work items. Evaluates the effectiveness of corrective actions and provides recommendation in the event corrective actions are deemed ineffective.
- In addition to conducting NDT inspections, also performs Quality Assurance (QA) inspections supporting PCE work accomplished for acceptance by Government representatives, Prime Contractor QA representatives, and Sub Contractor QA and Trade representatives (see PCE position description for QA Inspector II).
- Demonstrates clear, concise, and professional communication abilities required to support the performance and completion of internal and external Quality Assurance Audits and Welding Surveillances.Able to conduct detailed review ensuring compliance with PCE’s programs, procedures, and technical requirements.
- Provides technical assistance to PCE’s Production Department as well as PCE’s customers and vendors for interpretation of quality requirements. Provides required information including inspection acceptance / rejection criteria for Test and Inspection Reports (TIRs), Test and Inspection Plans (TIPs), Condition Found Reports (CFRs), Inspection Deficiency Reports (IDRs), Test Memorandum(s), and Work Specifications.
- Possess and extensive knowledge of NAVSEA Standard Items, work specifications, test memorandums, and all associated drawings and technical publications; the ability to clearly interpret these references on the deck plates is mandatory and clear and concise communication skills are essential.
- Able to complete training / certification for CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) and complete training and/ or qualifications required to support assigned collateral duties.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
- Associate or Bachelors Degree in QA/NDT related curriculum or equivalent (proven) experience preferred, and training required for certification testing.
Experience and Knowledge:
- Must become fully certified, and maintain certification, to Level II requirements of the American Society for Nondestructive Testing Inc. (ASNT) for Visual Testing (VT) and Liquid Penetrant Testing (PT) methods A and C.
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience in ship repair / shipyard related experience and strong mechanical and welding aptitude.
- Must possess knowledge of ship repair technical specifications and industry requirements supporting the repair of complex and critical systems and equipment.
- Must be able to effectively communicate (both verbal and written) for coordination, scheduling and completing inspections with; ships personnel, contractors, subcontractors, vendors, customers, and employees.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications.
Environmental Factors / Physical Demands:
- Must be able to perform these as well as Essential Function(s) with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others.
- Work under compressed timelines and other resource limitations.
- Work in a wide variety of environments, conditions, and/or situations; including:
- Working around or with systems of high temperature, high pressure, and high voltage which may or may not contain flammable liquids or involve rotating machinery.
- Small and/or confined spaces.
- Must be able to work at heights of 20 feet or more.
- Will routinely bend, twist, kneel, climb, and reach for 1-12 hours per day.
- Will sit, stand, and walk for 1-12 hours per day.
- Must be able to lift and carry 1-80lbs throughout the day.
- Must be able to push up to 75lbs.
- Will endure noise, fumes, dust, and inclement weather.
- Must be able to safely wear a respirator when needed.
PCE is an “at will” company.
PCE is a “Drug Free’ company. All potential employees are subject to a pre-employment physical and urinalysis testing.
Are subject to security background screening and must be able to obtain and maintain required/necessary security clearance(s).
Most positions require the potential employee to be a US resident. Proof required upon hire.
Overtime may be required in support of company objectives though it is NOT guaranteed.
Travel outside the local area (which may be on short notice) for extended periods of time may be required.
PCE is an equal opportunity /equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce.