Propulsion Controls Engineering’s (PCE) purpose is to provide the highest quality services to meet the needs of our customers while ensuring a safety and beneficial workplace for our employees. PCE has a current opening for a Full-Time Outside Machinist III, at our San Diego California location.
Installs, maintains, and repairs ship’s main propulsion and auxiliary systems including, but not limited to: Steam, Gas Turbine, Diesel propulsion, propulsion shafting, propellers, rudders, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration, and steering systems. Installs, maintains, and repairs ship’s sub-systems including, but not limited to: pumps, compressors, purifiers, heat exchanges, hydraulic/electric motor operators, valves, fluid control components/assemblies, and fluid/air/hydraulic systems. Tests installed equipment to ensure system meets specifications. Installs and tests various shop equipment.
- Effectively accomplishes the disassembly, cleaning, overhaul and testing of mechanical systems/components, such as: pumps, motors, turbines, propulsion support equipment, etc.
- Provides supervision, leadership and guidance to junior personnel with repair facility as well as on site.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of hand, pneumatic, and electric tools as well as critical measuring equipment; such as: micrometers, dial indicators, calipers, etc.
- Able to effectively align pumps and motors using dial indicators and/or laser equipment.
- Possesses the ability to accurately write Condition Found Reports, detailing results of inspections, tests, noted discrepancies, and recommendations as necessary to facilitate repairs and/or system or component restoration to proper operations condition.
- Accurately interprets and preforms work in accordance with designated Process Control Procedure(s) (PCP).
- Knowledgeable in Navy WAF and Tag Out systems; able to develop, submit, and / or close out WAFS, to include verification and concurrence of all tag out requirements necessary to safely perform work.
- Demonstrates the ability to critically assess and troubleshoot equipment/components as necessary to facilitate repair.
- Able to effectively read and comprehend work specifications, technical manuals and standards, NAVSEA Standard Items, blueprints, and drawings.
Experience and Knowledge:
- Minimum of 4-8 years experience in mechanical ship repair.
- Demonstrate knowledge of shipboard systems and components.
- Must have required personal tools necessary to accomplish daily tasks.
PCE is an “at will” company.
PCE is a “Drug Free’ company. All potential employees are subject to a pre-employment physical and urinalysis testing.
Are subject to security background screening and must be able to obtain and maintain required/necessary security clearance(s).
Most positions require the potential employee to be a US resident. Proof required upon hire.
Overtime may be required in support of company objectives though it is NOT guaranteed.
Travel outside the local area (which may be on short notice) for extended periods of time may be required.
PCE is an equal opportunity /equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce.