Tax Controversy Manager
Responsibilities of this position include:
● Assist client and client service team with management of IRS and state audits, including
responding to Information Document Requests, Notices of Proposed Adjustments, and other
exam related matters.
● Interact closely with clients and interface on their behalf with federal and state taxing
● Research various tax matters and draft technical memoranda to support tax return reporting
positions relating to IRS Information Document Requests, Notices of Proposed Adjustments,
Protests of Proposed Examination Changes, Private Letter Rulings, and penalty abatement
● Manage and implement multiple projects simultaneously, which include client interviews,
analysis, data gathering, and coordination of resources.
● Supervise, develop, and mentor junior staff members by providing them with leadership,
counselling, and professional guidance.
● Develop and expand new business relationships with potential clients and company personnel
to grow client base and work to foster on-going efforts to obtain additional opportunities for
In addition, the skills and qualifications needed include:
● At least seven (7) years of experience with the Internal Revenue Service or seven (7) years of
public accounting experience with a focus on tax controversy.
● An active CPA license.
● Strong understanding of the operations of the IRS, its procedures and processes, including
extensive working knowledge of the IRS Integrated Data Retrieval System (“IDRS”).
● Tax research including the ability to research and understand the IRS methods of account
resolution, desk guides, and the Internal Revenue Manual (“IRM”).
● Professional demeanor and strong communication skills, both written and oral.
● Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management.