Director, Individual & Foundation Development
Progressive Power Lab Washington, DC
- Posted: over a month ago
- $90,000 Yearly
Who We Are
Progressive Power Lab (PPL) provides management and marketing services to nonprofit and for-profit organizations moving millions of people and dollars into action to realize democracy, achieve justice, and restore our environment.
The family of PPL partners includes:
- Progressive Multiplier – The Progressive Multiplier (PM) is a funding intermediary offering diverse grants and financing options to progressive nonprofits to help them test and scale their fundraising efforts.
- Membership Drive – Membership Drive provides cutting edge Salesforce Apps to that enable nonprofits and companies to enlist people in their causes. Our first App, The Field, is available on the Salesforce AppExchange for all sales, political, and fundraising canvasses. Membership Drive tools are built to support the work of progressive organizations and are available to anyone in the Salesforce AppExchange marketplace.
What We’re Looking For
Progressive Multiplier is seeking someone with extensive institutional fundraising experience and a deep commitment to achieving justice, realizing democracy and restoring the environment to serve as its Director, Individual & Foundation Development. This person will lead identifying, securing, and managing grant and major individual donor funding toward the organization’s revenue goals.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will:
- Work with the Executive Director to craft a strategic development plan and budget to achieve organizational goals
- Execute, monitor, and evaluate the development plan, including defining process and time-bound performance indicators for success.
- Lead a portfolio-based program that leverages executive staff and board relationships, as well as PM grantee relationships with funders, with a goal of raising $5M+
- Cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of 30-50 existing donors and prospects, as well as supporting Progressive Multiplier leadership in doing the same.
- Build and maintain the prospect pipeline by researching institutional and major donor prospects and using relevant information to refine cultivation approaches.
- Collaborate with niche fundraising consultants as needed to expand PM’s funding opportunities
- Oversee PM’s grant management process and calendar, from initial proposal to final reporting and renewal
- Develop a nuanced understanding of PM’s mission, work, and impact to inform the development of compelling communications for potential funders
- In partnership with the Business Development Content Marketer:
- Craft the case for giving and refine it for specific work with major donors, and institutional funders.
- Partner with program and marketing staff to identify impact stories to use in fundraising communications
- Support the Business Development Content Marketer in creating all external fundraising communications used to cultivate, solicit, and steward donors and to keep them informed of developments in PM’s work
- Write all grant-related communications including proposals, letters of inquiry, reports, and briefs
- Manage and refine use of the Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack as PM’s database for fundraising
- Identify new queries, reports, and dashboards required to execute your data-driven fundraising strategy and monitor progress on an ongoing basis.
- Execute gift entry and donor acknowledgment processes.
- Ensure donor database records are maintained and accurate.
- Accurately track prospects and funders to support effective cultivation, solicitation, negotiation, engagement, and stewardship activities
- Create periodic reports for the leadership team and Board of Directors.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of new systems and processes to support fundraising, grant reporting, stewardship, and other revenue-generating initiatives
- Attend networking events and conferences as applicable.
- Advises senior leadership on engagement opportunities for participation and visibility
- Utilize current affiliations and contacts to expand reach, identify professional affiliations and memberships that would support your professional development and PM duties
What skills we need you to have
- You’re described as “goal oriented,” “detail oriented,” “driven,” “someone who can just figure it out,” “self-motivated,” and “collaborative.” PPL brands are largely start ups so a love of building things and a desire to create the systems that best support the work without requiring them to push your work forward in real time is a must. Our new Director will have a willingness to adapt to new and evolving organizational and funding priorities.
- Experience developing and managing a donor program, preferably for an advocacy focused non-profit organization
- Demonstrated success using moves management strategies and experience engaging staff and board members in effective fundraising
- Experience managing foundation fundraising program and proven major gift solicitation skills
- Ability and commitment to learn about and effectively translate PM’s work into motivational and persuasive communications with donors
- Ability to plan 12-18 months in advance and implement that plan to meet fundraising goals
- Proficiency with general computer software including MS Office Suite, Zoom, etc.
- Expertise in fundraising software and tools, comfortable working in databases, specifically Salesforce, that involve complex spreadsheets and financial information
- Excellent writing and editing skills and strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills are required.
- Deep knowledge of the progressive sector and institutional fundraising are required.
- 7-10+ years of fundraising experience.
- $90K range commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits package with competitive health, dental, disability, life, 401(k) with 6% corporate match, paid holidays (including the last business week of the year) and 10-15 PTO days (based on tenure)
- Submit your application, resume, cover letter, and relevant anonymized work product samples (i.e. a proposal for an institutional funder, an annual fundraising budget showing how you manage a pipeline, etc.) to email@example.com. Qualified candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled, please apply now!
Where You’ll Work
- At our office in Washington, D.C. should we get one this fall/winter or
- Your house, a quiet coffee shop, the local coworking space anywhere in the country - We <3 Google Hangouts and Zoom!
Progressive Power Lab isn’t just an equal opportunity employer. We are actively seeking to build a diverse and inclusive team with a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills to support the incredible diversity of grassroots power building across the country. PPL does not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a veteran, status as an individual with a disability, and any other characteristics.
Progressive Power Lab
Non ProfitView all jobs at Progressive Power Lab