Looking for an opportunity with a dynamic, fun and goal-oriented company? We’re growing quickly and we’re looking for some not-so-typical talent to join our team.
Progress Residential® is one of the largest providers of high-quality, single-family rental homes in the United States. With 40,000 homes and growing in 19 of the country’s fastest-growing markets, our residents appreciate the flexibility, freedom, and convenience of living in a single-family home without the obligations of home ownership. Progress is committed to making the home rental process easy and enjoyable for the 100,000 residents we serve by empowering our team members and investing in innovative systems and technology. Over the past three years our portfolio has doubled in size and we see increasing demand for professionally managed single-family rental homes and anticipate continued growth.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Vice President of Property Tax is responsible property tax valuations and appeals. The primary responsibility is to minimize the property tax liability of the portfolio through sound and informed application of property tax laws and regulations which includes the selection, use, and management of consulting firms and the in-house filing and management of appeals.
To be successful in this role, one must possess superior analytical ability in addition to a strong business acumen to effectively and efficiently execute our business strategy while working cross functionally with other key stakeholders within the organization. The ideal candidate excels at identifying risk and opportunity, iterates and solves problems quickly, and actively contributes enhancements to drive continual improvement in an ever-changing landscape.
- Direct day to day function of the Property Tax Appeals Department
- Review annual assessments, identify opportunities to file property tax appeals, build valuation models supporting appeal positions
- Assist in preparation and filing of property tax appeals within the statutory time frame, to insure appeal opportunities are not missed
- Appear before taxing authorities, including assessors, board of assessment appeals, board of equalization and tax court, in pursuit of property tax appeals
- Source and engage 3rd party property tax appeal companies and monitor their performance for effectiveness
- Implement state-of-the-art record-keeping capability and associated databases to ensure efficiencies and the availability of comprehensive and accurate information for analysis and decision making
- Develop and present, with the assistance of the property tax team,
- Interface directly with Tax accounting to develop property tax budgets and forecasts, and reconcile payments and accruals
- Identify risks and set goals and objectives to reduce those risks
- Coordinate and communicate with supervisor, company management, company associates, outside consultants, service providers and taxing authorities to ensure proper tax reporting and appeals
- Stay informed on changes in property tax rules, regulations, laws and procedures on a state by state and jurisdiction by jurisdiction basis.
- Ensure appropriate application of property laws company wide to effectively minimize liabilities, risks, and exposures
- Perform other duties as assigned or as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field is required. Master of Science Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field strongly preferred
- Minimum of 7+ years of relevant tax experience with an emphasis on property taxes
- Minimum of 3 years of managerial experience
- Direct working experience with iTAM property tax software preferred
- Experience in property tax practices and departmental processes
- Training and experience in real property valuation
- Strong technical background in ad valorem taxation of real and/or personal property as well as property tax accounting
- Experience in the appraisal / valuation of real property is highly preferred
- Experience in preparing appeals
- Course work from the IAAO, AI, IPT highly preferred
- Understanding of federal, state and local taxes and the impact of each on property tax strongly preferred
- Must be able to travel frequently
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Strong work ethic, integrity, and good business acumen along with excellent verbal & written communication skills.
What you can expect from us:
Progress Residential® offers all the financial and non-financial incentives you would expect from an innovative real estate investment and management firm:
- In addition to outstanding training, we host quarterly summits and town hall meetings to encourage growth, knowledge sharing and a good time. After all, it’s about progress, not perfection.
- We offer competitive compensation, including a performance-based bonus.
- Our generous benefits package includes comprehensive healthcare coverage for you and your family, parental leave, paid time off, 9 paid holidays and much more.
This brief summary is not an all-inclusive description of job duties. Other job duties and responsibilities may also be assigned by the incumbent’s supervisor at any time based upon Company need.
Progress Residential® is a proud Equal Opportunity employer, m/f/d/v.