Primary role is assisting the Optometrist in patient care to include conducting pre-testing or special testing, intaking patient historical information, and familiarizing patients throughout the eye care and clinical experience.
- Pretest patients, document and intake patient’s chief complaint, history of present illness, verify medical and ocular history, and input medication history into database or patient file
- Taking Visual Acuity (VA) measurements and performing additional screening and testing, visual fields, retinal photos, as needed.
- Performing contact lens insertion; train patient on contact lens insertion and removal
- Ordering Contact Lenses of various types of materials and designs
- Administering topical ophthalmic and dilation medications
- Scribing for the doctor and translating as needed
- Assisting with in-office procedures performed by the doctor
- Assisting in other areas of the office is necessary, such as answering phones, verifying insurance, checking in patients, scanning charts, maintaining a clean office, checking patients in and out.
- Works on special projects and perform other related duties assigned or requested.
Typically has the following skills or abilities:
- One to two years of experience in related field
- Working knowledge of MS Office package
- Effective verbal communication skills to prioritize multiple tasks and to be available for incoming calls and inquires
- Effective written communication skills to clearly document patient visits
- Excellent interpersonal and rapport building skills
- Ability to ask appropriate and relevant questions to identify patient needs
- Ability to listen, process transactions and interact with patients simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust etc.
The above information on this description had been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job grade.