Fiber Network Engineer
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
RURALBAND, a Prince George Electric Cooperative (PGEC) subsidiary, is looking for an experienced Fiber Network Engineer to join our team as we build a "world class" gigabit Fiber-To-The-Home (FTTH) network. This position will report to the RURALBAND's General Manager. The Fiber Network Engineer will be responsible for designing and developing the fiber-optic network.
The primary focus of this position is to manage & maintain all aspects of our FTTH network. The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills such as communication, problem-solving, and teamwork. Additionally, this position will analyze and resolve technical problems with the Calix system and corresponding infrastructure, including but not limited to system configuration, deployment, and maintenance of the Calix ring infrastructure.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
· Responsible for developing, monitoring, and troubleshooting the RURALBAND Fiber Optic Network.
- Deploys and maintains LANs, WANs, DMZs, and wireless networks, including routers, firewalls, WAPs, switches, UPSs, and other hardware.
- Supports the configuration of the substation electronics, internal networks, and hardware switches on the Calix-driven platform.
- Designs and develops hardware topology and VLAN segmentation required for independently routing traffic from a service point to the data center.
- Responsible for Cyber security considerations and experience in managing system resiliency is required.
- Resolves problems of any scope related to the fiber network.
- Provides and documents solutions to problems via proven diagnostic techniques.
- Tracks, manages and documents all aspects of fiber optic network using Calix equipment and cable management.
- Ensures the fiber plant database is accurate and up to date by inputting physical fiber asset data, fiber inventory, and circuit assignments into the data management systems.
- Coordinates materials and assignment processes (materials/resource availability, provisioning and configuring equipment, equipment testing, service needs, and assignments and scheduling) related to installation, repair, and maintenance needed.
- Configures, installs, and supports station-level electronics related to Calix, Cisco, Juniper, and Sienna switches.
- Assists with cabinet design & layout (site identification, electronics installation, and project coordination.)
- Works with field technicians on service calls and provisioning issues.
- Support end-users (members) at the ONT level when issues are escalated.
- Responds to multiple sources (customer/teammates) requests regarding trouble tickets, troubleshooting, and general service information.
- Researches, develops and recommends policies, procedures, reports, documentation systems, and resource materials.
- Responsible for assuring prompt assistance and timely resolution of issues for Wholesale and Key Accounts.
- Provides education to customers and teammates related to troubleshooting and support.
- Assists in determining requirements for future growth.
- Research existing databases, files, and records for network design, fiber optimization, and new aggregation points.
- Designs routes for fiber-based services, including point-to-point, Ring, and path-diverse routing.
- Assists in reviewing requirements, developing solutions, and conducting cost assessments for pre-sales opportunities.
- Provides concise weekly updates to management and effectively presents project status to leadership.
- Takes initiative to stay current on skills and industry standards.
- Perform all other duties as needed and assigned.
The successful candidate will have the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience areas below:
- Bachelor's degree in IT, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical field required. In addition, networking certifications and advanced degrees are desirable.
- 3 years of experience working in an Internet Service Provider environment. Experience with FTTH, DSL, or cable architectures, switches, and firewall technology, and an advanced understanding of layer 1, 2, and 3 network protocols are required.
- Experience with ISP, IT, Cable, Cellular, VoIP, or other telecom experience is a must:
- Depth of working on a Linux-based environment in the configuration of switches, routers, VLANs, and troubleshooting is a must.
- Windows, Linux, Mac, TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, telephony, and security devices.
- VoIP includes Latency & Jitter management and MOS scores, QoS,
- VPNs, Wi-Fi, network address translation (NAT), and NMS tools.
- Ability to read blueprints, schematics, and drawings.
- Prior experience utilizing Google Earth and how to produce a professional and detailed KMZ file and can interpret outside plant construction KMZ.
- Proficiency in the MS Office Suite, in particular MS Excel.
- Proficient with fiber plant concepts and designs. (Feeder/distribution cables, color codes, x-connects, fiber characteristics, DB loss and attenuation, FTTH designs.
- Prior fiber design experience that includes ring configurations, FTTH projects, and backbone builds.
- Knowledge of GIS-based platforms and fiber inventory systems.
- FTTH network planning and design experience.
- Knowledge of ISP, building entrances, and NESC.
- Familiar with POM equipment
- A proven ability to multi-task and plan/organize work to meet deadlines; with accuracy and attention to detail. Experience establishing and participating in a 24/7 responsive, on-call services support team. Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, with demonstrated problem-solving abilities.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to work as a team player.
This position will require work hours outside the regular business to meet project deadlines. In addition:
- Hours may fluctuate to support network outages or service degradation.
- Occasional travel is required for off-site training & research and travel throughout the service territory.
- On-call duty will be required on a rotating schedule.
Prince George Electric Cooperative
7103 General Mahone HighwayWaverly, VA
Get fresh Fiber Engineer jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.