Senior Software Engineer
- Posted: over a month ago
Presence is the leading provider of online speech and occupational therapy, behavioral and mental health services and software for K-12 districts for children with special needs. We are dedicated to ensuring that all students in the preK-12 education system receive the special education related services they need to grow and thrive. We supply exceptional teletherapy tools and software for providers to serve and support students and schools. Founded in 2009, we are a growth stage company backed by Spectrum Equity, TPG's The Rise Fund, Bain Capital's Double Impact Fund and Catalyst Investors. We currently have 250+ employees and 2,000+ clinicians working in our network. We are a remote-first workforce with headquarters in NYC, serving schools nationwide.The role
Presence is seeking a full-stack Senior Software Engineer to join our fast-growing Engineering team. We use Django on AWS and Angular but will be happy to consider candidates with equivalent Python/JS experience. This person will be responsible for the technical design, development, and deployment of our products which enable therapy providers to provide awesome services to schools. We're looking for someone with a successful track record building software products.
We're looking for a motivated, self-starter who is comfortable wearing multiple hats and thrives in a dynamic environment. You should have a growth mindset, highly-collaborative, and be able to think on your feet. This is a great opportunity to join a rapidly growing company that has a meaningful mission and substantial revenue.Why is this role important?
Our engineers are responsible for ensuring that the product works well for our users – we think of ourselves as user proxies. Doing Engineering at Presence is more than just cranking out code for assigned tickets. It involves providing an objective perspective to the work at hand, which means being a member of a collaborative team of developers, product managers, and designers, all of whom are working to make the services which Presence provides a positive experience for everyone.What will you do at PresenceLearning?
- Implement backend services in Django/Python and AWS using MySQL and other databases.
- Determine and develop approaches to solutions for assigned projects by identifying, resolving and mitigating risk and communicating to stakeholders.
- Provide technical solutions to detail certain aspects of product design and ensures that resulting design specification fits into the technical architectural framework.
- Perform analysis to define design requirements for modification to existing tools, utilities, system structures, environments and provide technical input into project scope and estimating activities.
- Research, investigate and define new areas of technology to enhance existing products or new product directions.
- Document software designs via functional specifications and other design documents.
- Participate in the hiring and onboarding process for new engineering team members and continuously provide technical guidance to other engineers.
- At least 8 years of experience building web applications at scale using Django or an equivalent Python framework (eg. Flask, FastAPI)
- Ideally 3-5 years of working with frontend frameworks such as Angular or React.
- Working experience delivering high-quality product features, with excellent judgment on balancing time-to-market and scalability
- Knowledgeable on best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Highly self-directed and comfortable delivering product features and enhancements and helping troubleshoot issues
- Research, investigate and define new areas of technology to enhance existing products or new product directions
- Document software designs via functional specifications and other design documents
- Participate in the hiring and onboarding process for new engineering team members and continuously provide technical guidance to other engineers
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent experience
- US work authorization and background check are required.
- Nice to haves: GraphQL, software design skills
- Passion for problem solving independently while also collaborating within and across teams
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills demonstrated through email, video conference calls, and internal meetings
- Ability to manage and encourage many different personality types
- Exceptional time management and prioritization skills
- Capacity to try new systems and iterate to make improvements to adjust to changing conditions and information
- Lead with operational excellence and a growth and proactive mindset, in a mission-driven environment
- Inspire and model creativity and resourcefulness
- Promote team morale
- Comprehensive Medical Coverage include Dental and Vision
- Flexible PTO
- Benefits Package: including 401K savings plan and access to an Employee Assistance Program.
- $500 home office stipend
- Inclusive Culture: We are intentional about creating a culture that is fun and inclusive.
- Presence is headquartered in New York City with our clients located throughout the U.S.
- This role may be based in our NYC headquarters or may be remote from your home office
- Occasional travel may be required (post-COVID) for offsite meetings
- All employees commit to be available on-camera for our Core Working Hours noon-5pm EST M-F.
AddressNew York, NY
TechnologyView all jobs at Presence
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?