This position will assist the lead mechanic during diagnosing, repairing medium/heavy trucks and heavy equipment. This job has been classified by PUC as being Safety Sensitive and containing Safety Sensitive Functions.
Performs routine mechanical activities to provide required maintenance for vehicles and equipment. Assists in performing a variety of automotive, mechanical and electrical activities to maintain operation of vehicles such as repair/installation of brakes, exhaust and cooling/electrical systems. Helping in the diagnosis problems or recurring malfunctions and chooses course of action. Assists in monitoring inventory levels of equipment, and tools. Performs daily inspections. Uses hand tools, such as hoists, drills, grinding wheels, and motor analyzers. Maintains a clean and safe work environment.
Mechanic helper work under the direction of the Lead Mechanic and Logistics Supervisor. To perform this job successfully, the Mechanic helper must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with minimum supervision.
· Will be assigned jobs such as preventative maintenance and other small repairs.
· Maintain a clean, orderly, and safe workspace.
· Pick up parts and delivery.
· Performs complex work in the repair and maintenance of vehicles and heavy equipment including backhoe, dump truck forklift, whacker, etc.
· Oversees vehicle preventive maintenance
· Performs vehicle and heavy equipment tune-ups, lubrication, oil and oil filter changes
· Submits orders for parts and accessories for the shop through the Lead Mechanic
· Signed and return a completed work orders
· Maintains records of repair and maintenance work and makes recommendations for fleet assignments and replacement
· Maintains shop tools and equipment
· Ensures operational safety procedures are followed and maintains shop in a safe and orderly condition
· Responds to emergency breakdowns and repair vehicles at emergency site
· Operates a variety of vehicle and heavy equipment maintenance and repair tools and equipment in a safe manner
· Occasionally perform work beyond a standard 40-hour workweek when work-load requires.
Knowledge and Skills: Requires strong knowledge of the standard practices, techniques, and tools used in repairing, maintaining and overhauling gasoline and diesel-powered vehicle and heavy equipment. Heavy Equipment Mechanics will have knowledge of heavy-duty equipment as well as full knowledge of the tools, materials, and equipment used in the diagnosis, maintenance, adjustment and repair of automotive and heavy equipment. Requires knowledge of the principles and methods used in preventive maintenance for automotive equipment. Must have good knowledge of work hazards and safety practices. Requires a basic understanding of the principles of report writing and record keeping.
Abilities: Requires the ability to perform all duties of the position effectively and efficiently and at a skill level commensurate with assignment. Requires the ability to perform vehicle maintenance duties including inspection, diagnosis and analysis techniques. Requires the ability to operate a variety of vehicle maintenance tools and equipment skillfully and safely. Must be able to estimate time and cost required for repairs. Must have good communication skills to interact with individuals in own workgroup and others to maintain harmonious work relationships. Must have a working knowledge of computer use, internet, Microsoft Office, and related software.
Physical Abilities: Must be able to operate vehicles safely. Requires constant standing, stooping, kneeling and carrying and lifting of medium to heavyweight materials (20 - 100 pounds). Requires near visual acuity and accommodation (ability to bring items into sharp focus), strong arm, hand and finger dexterity, ability to grasp and visual acuity including hand-eye coordination.
Education and/or Experience: Ability to read and write at a level sufficient to perform all duties of the position including reading safety information and technical manuals required. Specialized training in automotive repair required. The position requires a minimum of 4 years of increasingly responsible experience in the maintenance and repair of vehicles including experience in the repair and maintenance of heavy gasoline and diesel-powered equipment.
Licenses and Certificates: Possess or ability to obtain valid First Aid Certificate; valid Driver’s License.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but occasionally high. The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. Employee may be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
· Communicate effectively verbally and in writing in English and Spanish.
· Ability to communicate effectively personally and via telephone/email
· Ability to prioritize and organize; work well under stress; be able to meet deadlines
· Ability to work flexible hours, as required to meet deadlines
· Ability to be flexible and adapt to constant change
· Willing to learn new things
· Have a positive attitude and be solutions-oriented person
· High school diploma or equivalent and 2-3 years of experience.
· Knowledge, skill and/or ability required
· Heavy Equipment experiences preferred. Will consider a combination of education and experience.
Premier Underground Construction is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law.
ALL EMPLOYMENT IS AT-WILL, MEANING THAT EITHER THE EMPLOYEE OR EMPLOYER MAY TERMINATE THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP AT ANYTIME WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE OR PRIOR NOTICE.