The General purpose of this position is operating heavy equipment to excavate and backfill trenches safely. This job has been classified by PUC as being Safety Sensitive and containing Safety Sensitive Functions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Operate of assigned equipment to excavate for defined trench safely
· Make fine, highly controlled muscular movements to adjust the position of a control mechanism.
· Understand and comply with simple written and oral instructions given
· Safely and skillfully operates a backhoe, front-end loader ranging from 2’ to 13’ deep
· Assesses visually digging areas to ensure that areas have been blue staked prior to digging
· Asses the need for trench protection and install as necessary to protect from cave-ins
· Detect necessary equipment repairs by (visually and/or aurally) perceiving malfunctions
· Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
· Communicate orally with customers, clients or the public in face-to-face, one-on-one settings
Minimum Education and Experience:
· 2 years of experience Backhoe Operator (Cat & Case) be able to understand & use sign language. Training in trench safety and confined space. Able to read and comprehend prints for electric, telco and special systems from either utility company or private enterprise.
· Walk, stand, sit, use hands to finger, handle power tools (sharp shooter, jumping jack), reach with hands and arms, talk, listen, hear, read, see, lift, bend, climb in/out of equipment, and shovel.
a. Lifting: 75-80 pounds.
b. Exposure to Elements: all outdoor elements (i.e. wind, rain, snow,
c. Handling of Dangerous Equipment: power tools.
d. Risk of Assault or Injury: normal risk on construction site. Ample effort is
made to remove risks.
e. Other Hazardous Working Conditions: primer glue, W-40, gas/diesel,
flue, primer, confined space, fall risk etc.
- Must have experience working with contract documents such as contract drawings, subcontracts, contract addendums, specifications and change orders.
- Intermediate knowledge of Windows Office Systems.
- Intermediate skill level with MS Word / PowerPoint / Outlook and Publisher.
- Advanced skill level with MS Excel.
Premier Underground Construction is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other group protected by law
ALL EMPLOYMENT IS AT-WILL, MEANING THAT EITHER THE EMPLOYEE OR EMPLOYER MAY TERMINATE THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP AT ANYTIME WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE OR PRIOR NOTICE.