The Clinical Laboratory Technician functions under the supervision and guidance of the Lead Medical Technologist and participates in the multidisciplinary process of delivering diagnostic information to providers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs routine and complex testing as a bench technician.
- Organizes work by matching computer orders with specimen labeling, sorting specimens, checking labeling and logging specimens.
- Enters patient data into computer interface for integration into the electronic medical record and retrieves data from the system.
- Assists with solving daily issues, such as equipment problems and provider order errors.
- Identifies problems or potential problems in a timely manner and refers them to laboratory administration as necessary. Documents issues and events appropriately.
- Monitors overdue results.
- Completes sample billing report and retrieves samples from in building patient service center daily. Communicates with contracted patient service centers as necessary.
- Packages samples for shipment for specialty laboratory testing.
- Communicates complex data and its interpretation with providers and staff as necessary.
- Maintains and evaluates lab equipment and work areas; performing minor preventative maintenance and monitoring records, reviews the daily operational status of equipment, informing laboratory administration of the need for repair service calls and documenting malfunctions.
- Performs regular quality assurance activities including the review of patient specimen identification, accurate specimen collection, accurate test results, correct data entry into the electronic medical record, testing of proficiency samples, internal and external quality control analysis; determining that all parameters are within established ranges, and notification of critical results.
- Participates in competency testing in accordance with regulatory standards.
- Maintains laboratory SDS binder and assures that all chemicals are properly labeled.
- Disposes and documents the use of hazardous waste appropriately.
- Organizes laboratory area including general cleaning and upkeep.
- Maintains all laboratory records and procedure manuals in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Current NYS Clinical Laboratory Technician license required.
- 3-5 years related experience
Premier Medical Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer