Director, Field Pharmacy Services
The Director, Field Pharmacy Services is primarily responsible for ensuring optimal member utilization of pharmacy contracts, from Premier's Clinical contract portfolio, to clinical pharmacy utilization opportunities in support of overall quality, safety and cost goals. This position will provide thought leadership to pharmacy strategies and supporting initiatives as deemed priorities for the health systems served.
- Serve as the primary liaison to Premier field staff and customers in all aspects of the specific clinical portfolio
- Conduct pharmacy enterprise-wide analytics to identify opportunities to further address clinical quality outcomes and resource utilization issues. Verify practice variation through observation, and based on both data and observation recommend options to address the variation through supporting clinical research, whenever available.
- Ensure that initial and ongoing training is conducted for any member stakeholders utilizing Premier analytic tool(s), as appropriate. Actively monitor use of tool(s) to ensure that utilization goals are tracking as expected, and member is receiving value through a known ROI.
- Driving cross-functional customer support incorporating internal (field staff, sourcing, contract management, Supplier VPs) and external (sales staff, marketing, analytics, etc.) to assist customers in driving contract penetration, member value and savings.
- Directly influence purchase decisions with various levels of corporate leadership, hospital administration and staff including: pharmacy, supply chain, nursing, physicians, administration, etc.
- Participate in projects as needed to fully support the specific clinical service lines as deemed a priority by the members served.
- Manage responses for purchase decision support, including line item price validation, comparative quote analyses, and face-to-face and telephone consultation, etc.
- Create and facilitate member and staff education on product usage and cost efficiencies with various other internal and external subject matter experts.
- Monitor and track the sales cycle (from initial lead to close of sale) of Premier suppliers in Premier member institutions served.
- Create and maintain pipeline of pharmacy opportunities, and document opportunities, by member, in Salesforce.
- Provide technical oversight to contracting staff in the development of contract launch and promotional materials, surveys, second sourcing events, product planning initiatives, and category specific committee meetings/presentations.
- Support cross reference opportunities, development of launch materials, market intelligence for specified clinical categories.
- Provide timely analyses, reviews contract pricing accuracy, keep data updated, monitor drug product recalls and notify facility pharmacy departments, provide oversight of the FDA's DSCSA program (i.e. "Track and Trace"),
- Display technical competency working from various data sources, take a request for information and identify the best sources from which to retrieve the information.
- Display proficiency in numerous professional, contemporary pharmacy practice areas including FDA 503A&B sterile compounding, USP 795/797/800 regulations, 340B pharmacy, clinical drug surveillance including antimicrobial and opioid stewardship, and interpreting federal and state rules and regulations.
- Demonstrate a high degree of independence and ownership of projects, and summarize data in visually appealing presentations to influence decision-making. While not accountable for detailed analytics, in all cases, this role will verify that the appropriate steps have been taken to audit and verify analysis/information presented to members.
Area of Responsibility
- Serves as pharmacy subject matter expert, developing and implementing pharmacy priorities in support of the strategic account management plan through collaboration with all stakeholders for owner and member hospitals in assigned region; coordinates resources to meet customer's needs and achieve pharmacy plan goals.
- Identifies supply cost reduction opportunities through pharmacy assessments, service line analytics, and process improvement initiatives; facilitates contract implementation, supports product launches.
- Increases purchasing volume through use of pharmacy and portfolio tools (i.e., Owner Status Report (OSR), Portfolio Analysis, Project Plans and SupplyFocus); activates pricing, validates appropriate contract pricing and volume.
- Oversee product implementation (overall pharmacy project management) in collaboration with the member.
- Work with the implementation team to understand project plan and work plan details including timelines, tasks, resources, etc. in order to facilitate successful implementation with the member.
- Work with key stakeholders to understand project requirements and expectations.
- Point of contact to communicate any changes in project plans, status, timelines and issues.
- Lead problem resolution to ensure Member expectations are met.
- Assists in evaluation and implementation of business partner products and services that deliver on expressed needs of members. Identifies and operationalizes business partners' value-add programs to aid in the supply chain process and improve owner participation rate.
- Assists Supplier Vice Presidents with supplier relationships.
Education & Work Experience
- Pharmacy specific-experience as a pharmacist, pharmaceutical technician or buyer in a hospital.
- Financial acumen and supplier/member relationship experience required.
- Project management experience required.
- Previous experience with Value Analysis Teams preferred.
- Purchasing, sales and/or marketing experience preferred.
- Up to 15% travel expected.
- Bachelors required; PharmD preferred.
- Pharmacy, Pharmacy Tech or related field required.
- 7 or more years of applicable experience in hospital health systems or healthcare field.
- 10 or more years of applicable experience.
- Certification in a specialty area preferred.
Premier is looking for smart, agile individuals like you to help us transform the healthcare industry. Here you will find critical thinkers who have the freedom to make an impact. Colleagues who share your thirst to learn more and do things better. Teammates committed to improving the health of a nation. See why incredible challenges require incredible people.
Premier is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities!