Associate Scientist, Vaccine Research
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Precigen is seeking a highly motivated and creative Associate Scientist (level determined by candidate experience) with exceptional molecular and virology research skills to support our vaccine research initiatives in our Germantown, MD office. The ideal candidate will work within and between departments, carryout a variety of diverse laboratory procedures, work under general supervision and work well in a team and independently. We are seeking candidates looking for a fast paced, exciting working environment utilizing state of the art technology.
Upon hire to this position Precigen will require documentation of a COVID-19 vaccination or exemption for medical or religious reasons.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists in planning of the experimental designs.
- Carries out a variety of diverse laboratory procedures.
- Design of experimental plans inclusive of all appropriate controls to evaluate the gene products in tissue culture and downstream assays.
- Develops protocols, trains and assists Research Associates.
- Perform the quantitative analysis using Taqman assays.
- Purify plasmid and Viral DNA for Sanger and Next-Gen sequencing and analyses the data.
- General lab maintenance.
- Record lab protocols and results in an electronic lab notebook (ELN.)
- Prepare data reports and presentations.
- Works cooperatively and effectively with others both within and between departments/teams.
- Assists in preparing technical reports and summaries and provides input to the interpretation of experimental results.
- Performs independently and trouble shoots two or more of the following techniques: cell culture, virus culture, in vivo analysis, and/or western blotting.
- Uses scientific literature to keep aware of current technologies.
- Attends and presents results at department/team meetings.
- Complies with all applicable policies regarding health, safety and the environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of six (6) of laboratory experience; Bachelor’s or Master’s degree.
- Experience in cell biology, virology, molecular biology, biochemistry, and/or immunology
- Ability to independently design experiments including proper controls and prepare data reports.
- Setup, running, and analysis of Real Time PCR and RTPCR assays
- Experience with bioinformatics tools such as Geneious, GCK, Vector NTI, DNA star, NCBI Blast and primer design software.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strong technical skills.
- Works well both independently and as part of a team.
- Able to formally present his/her own work to a small group.
- Good verbal and writing skills - able to convey information in a clear and concise manner; able to write clear and concise technical reports.
- Organizes work effectively and uses time efficiently.
DESIRED KEY COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent communication skills, perform well in a team environment
- Self-motivated and independently minded.
- Positive interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with individuals from a variety of levels and functions.
- Self-organizer, meticulous hands-on habits, keen attention to detail.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Responsive, can-do attitude.
- Can coordinate parallel tasks across multiple projects, demonstrating prioritization.
- Ability to quickly adapt to a rapidly changing environment and demands.
- Ability to interpret and effectively execute upon a variety of instructions provided in written, oral, diagram or schedule formats.
ScienceView all jobs at Precigen, Inc