Management Trainee Description
The Management Trainee is responsible for all driver load assignments and other delivery service tasks for the fleet supporting the operations. This position will report to the Midwest Regional Manager.
• Daily communication and interaction with 60+ CDL Class A Truck Drivers including yard spotters, local delivery drivers, and over-the-road drivers.
• Assign work to all drivers during a specific shift.
• Maintain positive relations with drivers and customers.
• Responsible for influencing positive employee morale and quality customer service. Address driver problems as they arise and report issues to management and HR as needed.
• Manage drivers’ use of PeopleNet system for eLogs and Trip Management.
• Utilize TMW to manage all aspects of customer deliveries, backhauls, returns, and special transportation requests.
• Ensure all trips in TMW are properly coded for billing accuracy.
• Utilize TMW and TotalMail to ensure all TMW orders are completed in real-time.
• Complete the Shift Pass-On Log on a daily basis to ensure a smooth transition between Dispatch shifts.
• Work with Backhaul Coordinator and Management to increase backhaul percentage and minimize empty miles and dead-head lanes.
• Ensure all loads are Dispatched in a timely manner in compliance with the Dispatch Schedule provided by Shipping.
• Document all late shipments in TMW Remarks including the reason for the shipment dispatching after the Scheduled Dispatch Time.
• Work with Dispatch Supervisor to ensure the most efficient and cost-effective mode of delivery is used for all shipments.
• Work with Management and Drivers to follow company Safety Program and Policies to measure and reduce the occurrence and cost of collisions, injuries, near-misses, and equipment damage.
• Track equipment usage to ensure good utilization and ensure repairs are made in a timely manner.
• Report all equipment repair needs and damages to Management in a time manner.
• Track and report all driver attendance incidents to ensure staffing levels are adequate to meet customer demand.
• Ensure all payroll and timekeeping records are accurate and reported in a timely manner to Management and Payroll Department.
• Ensure Continuity is maintained for all drivers. Manage the Continuity Report for assigned drivers and ensure any errors are corrected within 24 hours.
• Ensure DOT and Company Policy compliance is maintained for all Drivers (Random Drug Screening, Certification of Violations/MVR, Annual Medical Reviews, etc.)
• Ensure all equipment inspections are completed and vehicle registration and Inspection Reports are updated in TMW and are physically located onboard the equipment.
• Ensure all Accident Reporting procedures are followed per company policy.
• Organize and conduct activities to assure safe, cost-effective, on-time operating performance.
• Track and report sign-in/sign-out times, assure routes are timely, and communicate service issues to management and customer service.
• Handle all incoming calls and ensure timely responses to customers, vendors, drivers, carriers, etc., and communicate issues with drivers and Dispatch Supervisor.
• Monitor driver performance and report issues to Management.
• Process and file all paperwork handled during on assigned shift.
• Create, monitor, and update reports on a daily basis as needed.
• Communicate all pertinent issues to the incoming Dispatcher to ensure all issues are handled.
• All other duties, as assigned.
The company assesses applicants on standards for performance, stability, dependability, and honesty. College degree is preferred but not required. Previous dispatch experience is preferred, minimum 2 years.
Candidate must be flexible if help is needed on another shift.