Position: Family Trainer Bilingual (Spanish and Mandarin)
Job Type: Part-Time (Saturdays and some weeknights during the school year)
Location: New York City
AtPowerMyLearning, we believe that students are most successful when supported by a triangle of strong learning relationships between students, teachers, and families.We partner with schools and districts nationwide to transform teaching and family engagement through innovativecoaching and workshops, and through our award-winning digital platform, PowerMyLearningConnect. As a non-profit,PowerMyLearningis especially committed to students from low-income communities, students with learning differences, and English Language Learners. Learn more by visiting powermylearning.org.
PowerMyLearning Family Trainers are responsible for training families on how to effectively use digital resources to strengthen core academic skills. The focus of the trainings are to make parents feel more empowered to help their children do better in school. This is done through two types of workshops: Saturday Family Learning Workshops, in which each family receives a Home Learning Center, loaded with educational software. On these days, Family Trainers provide two three-hour workshops, with up to fifteen families (over thirty people) per workshop. Weeknight Family Connection Workshops, in which families receive additional support and resources for learning at home. Family Trainers provide a 90-minute workshop for up to fifteen families. PowerMyLearning provides new Family Trainers with training prior to leading a workshop. Family Trainers receive ongoing coaching and feedback from PowerMyLearning staff and their peers in order to ensure high-quality training at all times.
Family Trainers should be able to commit to working two Saturdays per month during the school year (there is often the opportunity to work three Saturdays per month if desired), as well as one to two weeknights per month. The time commitment for Saturday workshops is approximately six hours (9:00am 3:00pm), including prep time and teaching time. You will also receive a 30-minute unpaid lunch break. The time commitment for weeknight workshops is approximately three hours (usually between 4:30 and 7:30pm).
PowerMyLearning partner schools are located within New York City (all boroughs); training locations will vary throughout the year. This position reports to the Senior Program Manager, Family Engagement on the New York City team.
- Providing an engaging presentation of PowerMyLearning's curriculum
- Following PowerMyLearning's curriculum and workshop pacing guide
- Maintaining control and flow of the workshop classroom at all times
- Utilizing Customer Service Representatives and volunteers as teaching assistants through active engagement to support and assist families throughout the workshop
- Creating a safe, inviting and motivating classroom environment
- Representing PowerMyLearning in a professional manner at all times
- Working with PowerMyLearning staff to continuously improve the PowerMyLearning curriculum
- Coordinate with PowerMyLearning's Program Managers and Coordinators, Customer Service Representatives and Registration Coordinators
- Ensuring that families leave the workshop:
- Knowing how to set up their computer
- Able to use the educational software provided
- Ready to improve their home learning environment
- Attending periodic training sessions in person
- Passion for PowerMyLearning's mission
- High School Diploma
- Bilingual Mandarin/English or Spanish/English
- Experience training or teaching in some capacity
- Experience working with low-income communities
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills and high levels of confidence as a public speaker/presenter
- Strong relationship or "people" skills
- Strong problem solving skills & extremely flexible
- Proficiency and comfort using basic computer functions, including computer setup, MS Office applications, and the Internet
- Ability to clearly communicate technical information about computer and software use to a non-technical audience
- Availability on two Saturdays and one weeknight per month during the school year