The Machinist B is Power Test's more experienced Machinist level. They are responsible for helping deliver profitable growth by completing machining functions accurately, efficiently, and safely. B level Machinists perform a variety of standardized machine operations by setting up and operating manual and CNC machines. They will also maintain equipment and supplies in good working order. Work may be subject to checks and direction by more experienced Machinist A's and/or the Machinist Lead. This position is well suited for anyone interested in becoming more proficient in their machining skills and working on a variety of machines/machine functions.
For this Machinist opportunity, we are seeking someone primarily skilled in manual machine functions and operations, although additional CNC experienced is desired.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Perform a variety of progressive machine operations to meet precise and close tolerance and finish requirements on standardized machining operations.
- Set up and operate various company manual and CNC machines. May edit some programs.
- Select or adjust tooling and adjust speeds and feeds for variations in materials or conditions on standard procedures.
- Optimizing machine processes, produce parts accurately and efficiently.
- Understand basic machine functions and effects on machined parts.
- Troubleshoot and correct basic machine issues, tooling, or replacement parts.
- Review set up sheets and specifications to determine setup procedure, machine sequence and dimensions.
- Interpret engineering drawings. Identify and correct errors or recommend necessary improvements in the drawings to engineers and/or management.
- Complete first piece inspection and use a variety of precision measuring and inspection devices to ensure parts conform to specifications.
- Maintain quality and safety standards.
- May assist other less experienced machine operators.
- Operate a forklift or crane when necessary.
- Follow company procedures to complete assignments. Complete and maintain required records.
- Communicate concerns to manager timely. Participate in solution implementation as appropriate.
- Maintain a clean and neat work area.
- Participate in and contribute to continuous improvement culture, including Lean initiatives.
- Work effectively as a team member to contribute to a positive workplace.
- Demonstrate and support company values.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Has own tools.
- Positive attitude to guide and train others.
- Good attendance and willingness to adjust schedule as requested.
- Willingness to cross-train and work in other functional areas of the shop as needed.
Education and/or Experience
High School diploma or equivalent plus 3-5 years machine operation and set-up experience on various manual and CNC production machines. Vocational training ideal.
Proficient with various precision measuring and inspection tools.
Ability to read and understand documents such as blueprints, parts drawings, operating instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to communicate effectively with other employees and supervisors of the organization.
Application of problem-solving skills applicable to various machining operations. Have strong logic, decision-making, and math skills. Ability to make basic decisions with some variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Experience programming, setting-up, and operating various types of manual and/or CNC machines, particularly using Mazak, Fanuc, and Mazatrol controls, and G&M codes. Gibbs programming with Solidworks ideal but not required.
Microsoft Office and other basic computer skills desired.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
The employee may be required to drive on occasion and must have a valid driver's license and be covered under the company's insurance policy.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will primarily work in a manufacturing environment. This could include tasks near moving mechanical parts, assembly and testing of equipment, fumes or airborne particles, and situations that are stationary at a desk in front of a computer. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee will be required to wear proper PPE including but not limited to safety glasses and steel-toed boots or equivalent.
About Power Test
Power Test, Inc. is a world leader in the manufacture of heavy duty engine, transmission and chassis dynamometer systems. Established in 1976, we are a consistently growing and dynamic organization. Power Test was awarded the 2011 and 2012 Wisconsin Manufacturer of the Year Award, Wisconsin's Future 50 Master Mettle Award in 2014, named one of the top southeast Wisconsin's Healthiest Employers in the Small Business category from 2011-2014, and was awarded the 2013 Governor's Export Achievement Award for the state of Wisconsin.
Equal Opportunity Employer - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.Employment Type: FULL_TIME