Portsmouth Redevelopment & Housing Authority Portsmouth, VA
- Posted: over a month ago
- $15 to $17 Hourly
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Performs proficient skilled work in one or more of the building trades in the maintenance, renovation, and repair of buildings, equipment and grounds or fixtures, specializing in general maintenance. Work assignments are performed under the general supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor or Property Manager; may be assigned limited supervisory duties over support employees.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative Only)
- Performs the installation and repair of downspouts, gutters and minor roof repairs, aluminum siding, welding, burning, and fabrication.
- Performs installation and repair of windows, window screens, and storm doors.
- Performs work in carpentry in the installation and/or repair of cabinets, shelving, doorframes, door locks, rock lath, drywall and plaster of walls and ceiling repair, hang doors, floor tile, etc.
- Performs heating, ventilation, and air conditioning repairs, troubleshoot and repair furnaces, heaters, pilot lights, heat pumps, replace and/or clean filters, and other HVAC equipment.
- Performs electrical maintenance, installation, and repair of faulty electrical sockets, switches or outlets; fix or replace light fixtures, receptacles, and exhaust fans.
- Repair gas and electric stoves; services and maintain refrigerators, refrigerator door gaskets, thermostats, compressors, motors, and other appliances,
- Performs plumbing repairs and maintenance in the unstopping of sewer lines, replacing plumbing fixtures, repairing and replacing commodes, drain pipes, water lines, hot water heaters, install floor tiles; repair or replace bathroom accessories i.e. faucets, towel racks, etc.
- Performs paint preparations, paint walls, and perform other paint operations.
- Performs grounds maintenance and custodial tasks to include but not limited to picking up trash, removing dead trees and limbs, raking leaves, cleaning vacant apartments, removing furnishings, cleaning floors, etc.
- Prepares vacant units for occupancy; may perform move-outs.
- Participates in preventive maintenance and emergency repair and new construction.
- Troubleshoots a variety of maintenance problems.
- Plans and schedules work and estimate the type and amount of materials needed in the performance of work.
- Complete work performance documents, i.e. work requests and hourly accounting forms.
- Maintains equipment in a clean and orderly condition.
- Observes all safety rules and regulations.
- Job duties, responsibilities, specifications, and other job aspects may be changed as needed; performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE. SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive knowledge and procedures of methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in heating, ventilation and air conditioning, electrical, plumbing, and carpentry repairs, installation, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of applicable code requirements and standards for various crafts.
- Thorough knowledge of the occupational and safety precautions of the trades.
- Working knowledge of Geo-Thermal, heat pumps, Air-to-Air, and Water-to-Air heating and air conditioning systems.
- Ability to install compressors, “change out” condenser units, air handlers, and all other aspects of HVAC.
- Ability to read and interpret plans and blueprints and to work from plans and specifications.
- Ability to deliver maintenance services specifically related to the manufacture and/or installation of guttering, downspouts, screen doors, windows, roof repair, and aluminum siding.
- Must operate various types of machinery and equipment such as saws, sanders, drills, strippers, trucks, etc.; utilizes hand and power tools, plumbing and electrical tools, and other equipment of the trade and ability to instruct others in the same.
- Ability to execute an annual preventive maintenance program for housing communities.
- Must provide own personal hand tools and care for tools and equipment of the trades.
- Dependability in attendance.
- Ability to execute work assignments diligently and conscientiously without close supervision; work independently in the absence of specific instructions and under pressure and with time restraints.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and to communicate clearly and show good judgment according to Authority policy and procedures.
- Ability to interact effectively, professionally, and with courtesy with staff, co-workers, residents and the general public.
- Promote a positive image of the Authority by establishing and maintaining to the greatest extent possible a viable and positive working relationship with co-workers, local agencies and all appropriate agencies with which the Authority may come into contact.
- Must be available to work during emergencies and other unscheduled working hours and must be accessible, preferably by telephone or other effective means.
- Position requires individual to speak and hear, perform repetitive motions, and use hands and fingers, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to allow operation of a variety of maintenance power equipment and tools and to move, carry and/or operate objects and materials.
- Work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
- Frequent walking, standing, stooping, kneeling, bending, stretching, crawling, crouching and climbing a ladder, etc. and to lift, reach, pull or push supplies and equipment having a weight of up to 50 pounds.
- Physically access apartment dwellings.
- Perform job assignments in inclement weather.
- Exposure to bloodborne pathogens; may be required to wear various specialized personal protective equipment.
- Ability to operate an automobile and must be insurable by an automobile insurance carrier and possess and maintain a valid driver’s license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia throughout the duration of employment.
Any combination of education equivalent to graduation from high school, vocational, or technical study in one or more of the building trades. Six (6) years’ experience in one or more of the building, mechanical, and HVAC trades. Certificate of training in the repair of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems and Universal EPA Certification in HVAC required.
THE PORTSMOUTH REDEVELOPMENT AND HOUSING AUTHORITY RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CLOSE OR WITHDRAW THIS POSITION AT ANY TIME.
Employees Who Are Not Fully Vaccinated Will Be Required To Get Weekly COVID Testing.
Portsmouth Redevelopment & Housing Authority
AutomotiveView all jobs at Portsmouth Redevelopment & Housing Authority