- Posted: over a month ago
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:Under the supervision of the Chief Financial Officer, the Accounting Manager performs complex accounting functions as required for the proper accounting, reporting, collection and disbursement of Authority funds. Insures that a satisfactory accounting system and internal control functions are established and maintained and that periodic financial statements and reports are prepared. Responsible for the overall cash flow and investment of funds, sale of project notes, accounting for escrow funds, modernization funds, administration of Industrial Revenue Bonds, and all of the financial activity involved in the Authority's various activities.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative Only)
- Oversees guides and participates in the daily financial operation functions; monitors the day-to-day cash flow and status; approves wire transfers and investment transactions; approves disbursements; approves cash receipts; prepares bi-weekly payroll; reviews financial performance reports and responds to customer financial operations issues.
- Participates in the annual audit; establishes procedures for completing the audit engagement and coordinates the efforts of the Finance staff in the development of preliminary financial information.
- Assists the Chief Financial Officer with year-end financial data and assists external auditors with annual audits.
- Coordinates the formalization of the annual cost allocation plan and ensures compliance of agency and federal regulations.
- Coordinates the documentation of and monitors Program Reserves.
- Reviews and approves a variety of financial documents and travel reports.
- Assists in the preparation of reports of the fiscal condition of the Authority and provides information to the Authority’s Executive Staff as requested.
- Monitors investment performance and makes investment decisions for surplus funds.
- Assists with financial questions concerning individual, rehabilitation and construction projects.
- Monitors PHAS components.
- Monitors budget to evaluate the agency’s financial position throughout the fiscal year.
- Assists in the organization of the year-end process to include accruals, REAC submission, W-2’s and tax reporting requirements, etc.
- Observes all safety rules and regulations.
- Job duties, responsibilities, specifications, and other job aspects may be changed as needed; performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of principles and practices of accounting and government auditing.
- Comprehensive knowledge of general laws and administrative policies governing municipal financial practices and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain accounting policies in compliance with General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Ability to analyze financial records and reports to ensure compliance with budgetary restrictions governing public housing accounting and reporting.
ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 19-10 - Accounting Manager
- Ability to multi-tasks and perform a variety of tasks simultaneously and to plan, organize and schedule work to meet critical deadlines and performance measures.
- Excellent organizational skills and be detailed oriented in performing and coordinating work activities.
- Work requires application of considerable independent judgment and initiative.
- Must show good judgment according to Authority policy and procedures and have the ability to make appropriate “on-the-spot” decisions with attention to details.
- Computer literacy required in the use of a personal computer and electronic communications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential and comfortable making presentations before others.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, direct and evaluate work of others in the specialized field of accounting.
- Performs supervisory duties including but not limited to setting standards for work performance, communicating standards to employees, assigning and coordinating work; promoting, developing, disciplining and counseling employees on performance and conducts performance evaluations. Approves leave and ensures timely completion and processing of attendance records.
- Ability to communicate clearly (orally and in writing), compose technical reports and respond to questions on a variety of job related matters with other members of management and the public and establish and maintain effective working relationships with other department heads and governmental officials.
- Promotes a positive image of the Authority by establishing and maintaining to the greatest extent possible a viable and positive working relationship with residents, co-workers, local agencies and all appropriate agencies of the City with which the Authority may come into contact.
- Must be generally available for occasional after-hours and weekend activities; in the event of emergencies, must be accessible, preferably by telephone or by other effective means.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to allow operation of a variety of automated office machines, i.e. computer keyboard, copy machine, printer, fax machine, telephone, etc.
- Ability to move, carry and/or operate objects and materials such as office supplies, files, computer printouts, reports, calculator, etc.
- Ability to operate an automobile and must be insurable by an automobile insurance carrier and possess and maintain a valid driver’s license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia throughout the duration of employment.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related field and five to ten years of responsible public accounting experience. GAAP knowledge and considerable supervisory experience required. Computer literacy and excellent verbal and written skills required..
All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, religion, sex, age, color, disability, national origin, sexual preference, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status or familial status. For applicants that require special accommodations in order to apply for positions, please contact the Human Resources Department at (757)391-2930 for assistance.
THE PORTSMOUTH REDEVELOPMENT AND HOUSING AUTHORITY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CLOSE OR WITHDRAW THIS POSITION AT ANY TIME.
Portsmouth Redevelopment & Housing Authority
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at Portsmouth Redevelopment & Housing Authority