Under general supervision and according to established policies and procedures, performs a variety of administrative and secretarial duties in support of attorneys, paralegals and other support staff members. Maintains positive contact with client and co-workers, and observes confidentiality in all client and firm matters.
- Proofread and edit documents for grammatical, typographical and spelling errors. Finalize and distribute to clients, attorneys and staff. Ensure deadlines are anticipated and met.
- Track and assist with completing documentary and administrative matters to be completed in connection with transactional matters; prepare and compile closing binders in connection with transactional matters.
- Receive, screen and route incoming telephone calls, conference calls and messages to attorneys, clients and staff promptly. Assist callers as appropriate in attorney’s absence. Refer callers to other attorneys and respond to inquiries when appropriate.
- Sort, scan, distribute and file incoming and outgoing mail promptly upon receipt several times a day. Open and review materials as directed.
- Edit correspondence, documents, memoranda, and project work in the production of legal documents. Carry out instructions from tapes, verbal and/or handwritten materials. Compose routine correspondence for attorney signature.
- Coordinate conferences, meetings and appointments for attorneys and clients including conference room scheduling, meals, beverages, preparation of materials and greeting clients. Coordinate seminar registration and travel arrangements securing air, hotel and car reservations for attorney and clients.
- Track compliance with continuing legal education requirements and report same to appropriate authorities.
- Maintain calendar of meetings and business trips, apprising attorney of responsibilities in advance of commitment.
- Review, edit and finalize bills to ensure accuracy of input.
- Coordinate preliminary conflict checks through the automated system to ensure attorney and firm ability to represent potential client.
- Set up, organize and maintain firm files. Read and review material to be filed, file documents in proper files, and retrieve documents and files when requested. Designate disposition of files to either form files, attorney files or finish files as appropriate.
- Coordinate mass mailings, including filings with the state and federal courts.
- Perform a variety of administrative functions including processing new matter reports, preparation of expense reports, updating of closing binders,etc.
- Employ firm applications efficiently and effectively to process work.
- Work collaboratively with others across the firm to meet the needs of attorneys across the firm.
- Follow up on requests made by attorneys, paralegals and clients.
- Assist other attorneys or staff in performing secretarial functions as requested or needed.
- Perform other functions as requested or needed.