Lead Server Engineer
- Expired: June 12, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
About Playable Worlds
Playable Worlds is a team of talented and creative game industry professionals working together on a sandbox MMO built for the cloud. Led by Raph Koster (Ultima Online; Star Wars Galaxies) Playable Worlds offers a collaborative and diverse work environment, competitive pay and benefits, and an opportunity to create new kinds of gameplay and experiences in online worlds that feel real and engaging.
All positions at Playable Worlds are currently remote, but we plan to open one office location in the future as circumstances allow.
You are an experienced leader in videogame development who is going to lead our game server and backend engineers in building a massively multiplayer sandbox RPG. You will be working very closely with the client and gameplay engineering teams, technical art team, and game designers to realize the vision for a dynamic, interactive world for players. You are self-motivated, inquisitive, open to experimentation, and excited to tackle interesting technical challenges that have not been attempted in massively multiplayer online games before.
Essential Job Functions
- Serve as architect of game server and the associated set of backend services and external SaaS integrations.
- Mentor and manage a team of developers.
- Maintain a hands-on approach, being directly involved in implementation work.
- Solve challenging technical problems in a way that fulfills the creative and artistic vision for the game.
- Maintain high standards for best practices, clean architecture, and reliable, performant code.
- Experience level: 10+ years of professional software development experience in the video games industry; 5+ years of experience leading, tasking, and mentoring an inclusive team of more junior developers.
- 3+ years of experience with Unity and strong skills in C#.
- 7+ years of combined development experience with AAA-capable game engines such as Unreal, Unity, Frostbite, or similar.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to interface directly with artists, designers, production, and other engineering leads.
- Ability to prioritize a variety of tasks in a manner that enables timely completion.
Bonus Points for Any of These
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Game Design, or similar, or equivalent experience in lieu of a degree.
- At least 3 shipped game titles, with at least 1 being in multiplayer gaming.
- Experience with asset streaming concepts and methods, especially in Unity.
- Familiarity with massive multiplayer online game development and production cycles, including the development of internal world-building tools.
- Familiarity with cloud-based server architectures and persistent socket networking requirements.
- Experience with Entity-Component-Systems based architectures such as DOTS is a considerable plus.
- Playable Worlds is headquartered in San Marcos, California. All positions are currently remote due to the pandemic.
Job descriptions are not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required of the employee.
Playable Worlds Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and applicants. We are also committed to providing employees with a work environment free of illegal discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications. No applicant or employee will be discriminated against because of their age; ancestry; citizenship; color; marital or parental status; registered domestic partner status; national origin; pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition; race (including hair textures and styles); height; weight; religion; religious dress practice; religious grooming practice; sex; sexual orientation; genetic information; genetic characteristics; gender identity; gender expression; transgender status; military and veterans’ status; HIV/AIDS status; physical or mental disability or medical condition unrelated to the person’s ability to perform the job; or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, or the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. See more details on your right to work here: https://www.e-verify.gov/sites/default/files/everify/posters/IER_RighttoWorkPoster.pdf.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. See more details here: https://e-verify.uscis.gov/web/media/resourcesContents/E-Verify_Participation_Poster_ES.pdf.
Powered by JazzHR
Playable Worlds Inc.
AddressSan Marcos, CA
EngineeringView all jobs at Playable Worlds Inc.