Position Overview: Set up and operate a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts and measuring instruments. May also fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools, applying knowledge of shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
Essential Job Functions
- Operate all Tool room equipment with a “Safety First” mentality. Must be a leader in the area of safety and participate in efforts to drive safety practices in the tool room.
- Undertake a variety of jobs, in some cases with limited instruction or information.
- Produce effective and efficient CNC programs.
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials onto machines.
- Work from sketches, verbal and print information in order to produce projects according to specifications.
- Produce 2-D & 3-D CAD models.
- Select appropriate tools and materials to be used in preparation of machining work.
- Machine parts to specification using: CNC Mills, manual Mills/Lathes, Drill Press, Grinders, and other support equipment.
- Set up, adjust, and operate all of the basic machine tools and many specialized or advanced variation tools to perform precision machining operations.
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers, depth micrometers, inside diameter gauges, and outside diameter gauges.
- Read and understand gauging sheets.
- Read and interpret blueprints to ensure parts are made according to specifications.
- Monitor machines and tooling to ensure machine and tooling are running properly.
- Safely lift equipment in order to load parts onto machining center, lathe or mill.
- Actively participate in 5S program.
- 2D/3D/CAD/CAM/Solid works exposure.
- CNC programming.
- Learn and work with Conversational Programming.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and sketches.
- Troubleshooting skills. Ability to interpret gauges, dials, or other indicators to establish root cause and take corrective actions.
- Ability to hold tight tolerances.
- Knowledge and experience with precision measuring instruments.
- Basic Math skills.
- Geometric tolerance skills.
- English language reading and writing skills.
- Active listening skills.
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Email skills.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- CAD & CAM competency
- 3 to 7 years of traditional machining experience.
- 2 to 5 years of machining experience and formal technical education preferred.
- Experience building, repairing & optimizing tools preferred.