Food Safety Specialist
Planted Detroit, MI
- Posted: over a month ago
Job Description for Food Safety Specialist
Planted Detroit is a vertical hydroponic farm on Detroit’s East Side. At Planted, we are committed to providing high quality, sustainable, healthy food to our community. Farm Techs should be motivated by a passion for food security, should have an interest in science, and must have a positive attitude. There is ample opportunity for career growth within our growing company.
The Food Safety specialist is responsible for administering the Planted Detroit Food Safety Plan, HACCP plan. This position will report to the Leader of Food Safety and Biosecurity. Food safety specialists will continually strive to improve food safety and maintain Planted’s reputation of the safest greens available.
- Execution of Food Safety Plan.
- Implementation of HACCP plan and continuous improvement of this plan
- Organizing microbiological sample collection, and delivery or in-house testing
- Organizing data and presenting results in easily understandable formats.
- Using collected data to suggest improvements to food safety policies
- Communicating with production teams to determine hazards, risks, or areas of improvement
- Writing SOP’s, logs or training materials
- Assisting in 3rd party audits (HGAP, MDARD, FDA, etc)
- Effective communication with Planted Leadership
- Conducting shelf life analysis.
- Researching emerging technologies and how they may be applied to Planted Detroit
- Microbial testing
As a Planted Detroit employee you will be:
- Positive and professional in all situations
- Honest, trustworthy, and responsible
- A team builder who sets a positive example through action
- Detail oriented; is good with noticing, tracking, and following through on details
- Highly organized
- Self-motivated, driven, and an initiator
- Someone who thrives in fast-paced environments with deadlines and high expectations
- Able to optimize team members’ contributions by placing them in a position to professionally thrive
- Degree in Microbiology or related field is preferred
- Knowledge of food-borne pathogens also preferred
- Experience with laboratory techniques
- Sterile technique
- Experimental design
- Data collection and analysis
- Making charts and graphs
- Interpreting results
- Eagerness to learn valuable new skills
- Able to follow instructions and work efficiently
- Good communication skills
- Exceptional written communication skills
- Able to operate a variety of tools and laboratory equipment safely
- Ideal applicant lives near the farm or within the city limits of Detroit
- Applicants must have access to reliable transportation.
- Be able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Be able to work on a 12 ft staircase if need be while tending to plants on our vertical grow systems.
- Not afraid of heights
Work Environment: 50% in farm activities, 50% office work.
Performance in this position will be evaluated against the essential duties, competencies, and requirements, as outlined, with frequency according to Planted policy.
PLEASE SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO
ManufacturingView all jobs at Planted