PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF THE ST. LOUIS REGIONAND SOUTHWEST MISSOURI
POSITION: Health Center Assistant – Medical Assistant
STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Health Center Manager
Provides quality reproductive and family planning services to patients through clerical, educational, and laboratory duties. Cognizant of and compliant with risk management and quality assurance standards. Makes patient visit in clinic a positive, high quality experience. Has input in development/attainment of clinic team goals. Requires travel to other PPSLRSWMO sites. May require day, evening, weekend hours. This position also requires computer and writing work that will require sitting at a desk for extended periods and requires standing for periods of time in excess of one hour and moving throughout health center.
PRIMARY DUTIES PERFORMED
· Genially greets client at front desk; determines nature of visit.
· Provides client with appropriate forms; receives from client and reads and reviews forms for completeness.
· Prepares medical record for day’s visit: places forms in chart; writes needed data in record; attaches receipt to record.
· Obtains current financial status and establishes fee for services, including Medicaid and insurance eligibility.
· Enters accurate and complete data correctly into computer system(s) – demographic, services and supplies
· Fiscal accountability - collects payment; correctly uses check and charge verification systems, follows deposit and close out procedures.
· Packages and mails contraceptive/medical supplies when requested by client and according to internal policy.
· Educates client through words and demonstration about pelvic exam and pap smear; weighs and measures (height); performs hematocrit (fingerstick) as needed; obtains patient’s blood pressure reading; records all in medical record.
· Interviews and educates on wide variety of reproductive healthcare topics – contraception, sexually transmitted diseases, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) prevention, education and testing.
· Physically prepares examination room for client; stocks room with supplies; takes client to room and gives appropriate drapes/capes; labels appropriate slides/collection medias.
· Conducts pregnancy tests and other lab tests as needed; educates client on all legal pregnancy options, gives referrals as needed.
· Answers phone calls, assesses client’s need; schedules appointments; addresses client concerns; documents such in chart.
· Resolves client concerns during visit; asks for help if needed.
· Adhere to affiliate policies on professionalism, wait time in-clinic and on the phone, and the system for addressing client complaints.
· Participate in health center/affiliate efforts to achieve established productivity and revenue cycle goals.
· FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANTS AND TRAINED PHLEBOTOMISTS: Draws blood following proper medical protocol and following all risk management procedures.
· FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANTS: Gives depo-provera/DMPA injections per PPFA/PPSLRSWMO medical protocols; only provides injection following authorization of Nurse Practitioner.
- FOR TRAINED MEDICAL ASSISTANTS ONLY: May provide Intramuscular injections as ordered by PPSLRSWMO Clinicians (MD, NP, CNP, CNM, APC) in accordance with PPFA/ PPSLRSWMO guidelines.
Including but not limited to
· Rho(D)Immune Globulin
May be trained to assist with colposcopy, vasectomy, and/or abnormal lab follow-up
QUALITY ASSURANCE/RISK MANAGEMENT
· Documents in legible, accurate English all interactions with clients in corresponding medical records.
· Reports any unusual circumstances to health center coordinator and follows procedure as outlined in manual, memos, and other PP documents.
· Records accurately, if assigned, all lab results and findings in logbooks and/or computer.
· Follows the most recent PPFA/PPSLRSWMO medical standards and guidelines and ensures client is aware of individual follow up plan for medical service.
· Audits medical records for compliance with PPFA and PPSLRSWMO medical standards and guidelines.
· Prepares and breaks-down exam rooms, sterilizes and cleans instruments and equipment in a safe, hygienic manner according to OSHA, CLIA, and infection control standards and specifications of manufacturer and of PPSLRSWMO.
· Cognizant and compliant with policies and procedures as outlined in affiliate’s Clinic Procedure Manual and in the PPFA manuals.
· Protects PPSLRSWMO and its assets from liability.
· Protects confidentiality of PPSLRSWMO clients, staff, volunteers, donors, Board, and all other areas of operation.
· Follows HIPAA privacy and security guidelines.
OTHER DUTIES AS DELEGATED (Applicable to FT/PT)
- Attends and serves on clinic/affiliate committees if directed
- If assigned to be the delegate in the absence of the HCC, performs duties outlined
- Contributes to the growth of clinic by working with the team on achieving goals
- During community outreach activities represents PPSLRSWMO mission and goals to the public.
- Assists with training of new staff, volunteers, and/or interns
- Cooperates with representatives of other departments to achieve agency goals
- High school diploma or GED certificate required. Baccalaureate degree (varied) or the equivalent work experience a medical setting; customer service environment; or social services setting preferred.
- Effective verbal and written English communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment; able to juggle multiple priorities.
- Fiscal accountability proven or aptitude for.
- Flexible non-judgmental approach to individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Bilingual skills a preference.
PPSLRSWMO is an equal opportunity employer.