Under direct supervision, uses basic knowledge and skills obtained through on-the-job training to provide patient centered medical services and education in support of the Planned Parenthood of Michigan (PPMI) mission. Gathers patient information, identifies concerns, and provides information to other medical professionals in order to provide services and meet patient needs.
* This Position provides coverage for Warren & Ferndale clinic.
* Hours Monday - Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm
*Schedule Flexibility required as clinic hours may change
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain patient records and enter information into electronic health record (EHR) systems.
- Responsible for patient education, preparation, support of patient and physician prior to, during and after procedure(s). Procedures include but aren’t limited to: abortion, colposcopy, IUD insertion, LEEP, and vasectomy.
- Participate actively and strives towards patient access and demand goals.
- Demonstrate commitment to living out and modeling PPMI’s In This Together Workplace Values and Service Standards.
- Integrate equity and inclusion best practices into all job functions and patient interactions.
- Promote productivity, patient donations, outreach and other identified business goals.
- Perform all duties in compliance with all applicable laws, PPMI policies and insurance guidelines.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Is fully trained and signed off in EITHER the Front and Back duties outlined below for all of the services provided at their work location.
- Greet patients and visitors in person or on the phone and schedule appointments as needed. Refer calls to other providers for services that are out of the PPMI scope.
- Assist patients with check in process and paperwork completion.
- Obtain patient insurance information which may include verifying insurance and obtaining health plan authorization.
- Assess patients’ financial resources including eligibility for available programs and insurances.
- In accordance with PPMI cash handling policy and procedures, collect all fees.
- Record financial and billing transactions in the practice management system.
- Under the direction of a physician or clinician, dispense medication and supplies to patients.
- Perform basic diagnostic testing including finger poke, basic vital signs, urine pregnancy testing, urinalyses, and hemoglobin, rapid HIV test, and blood draws. Prepare lab specimens, requisitions and tracking logs for transport to laboratories for evaluation.
- Obtain patient vital signs including obtaining blood pressure, height, weight, hemoglobin, pulse, LMP, and patient needs assessment. Administer Injections.
- Prepares patients for procedures as applicable and discusses pain management options. Assist clinician or physician during exams or procedures.
- May participate in aftercare services.
- Provide basic factual, unbiased, patient education and general information regarding pregnancy management options (including abortions options, risks, and adoption resources), information and risks on Birth Control Methods (BCM), Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), and all other basic health care services within the scope of PPMI’s practice. Screens for possible coercion. Refers to outside resources as needed.
- Travel Required: Some travel may be required to other health centers within a defined region
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of:
- Fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of medical terminology and medical record documentation.
- Fundamental concepts, practices and procedures related to CPT and ICD coding.
- Fundamental concepts, practices and procedures used in a medical office environment.
- Skill in:
- Operating standard office equipment and using required software applications including Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of medical records management systems a plus.
- Ability to:
- Gather information, identify linkages and trends, and apply findings to prepare possible testing and medical supplies needed during examinations.
- Read and comprehend patient’s level of understanding of information being provided and make appropriate adjustments to method of delivery if needed.
- Deliver test results and educational materials in an objective, medically factual, empathetic and compassionate manner.
- Work under pressure on multiple projects concurrently and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment with frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Identify actions, behaviors, or responses that may indicate a patient is being coerced.
- Provide a high level of customer service and handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to computer rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
- Minimum Degree Required:
- High School Diploma or GED Required
- At least 2 years experience working in a health care environment, preferable in a reproductive health setting. Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by Human Resources. Must possess excellent customer service, communication and organizational skills.
Planned Parenthood of Michigan is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workplace.
Planned Parenthood of Michigan
Why Work Here?For over a century, Planned Parenthood has fought for a world where every woman has immediate and unfettered access to the basic reproductive care and knowledge that is her human right. Planned Parenthood provides family planning and reproductive health care services, education, and information to millions of women, men, and young people each year. Now, as the leading reproductive rights advocate, health care provider, and sex educator for women, Planned Parenthood looks to its next 100 years.
Flexible Hours, No Weekends, Great Benefits, Fun Events & An Amazing Team