Position Summary: Under the direction of the Director, Patient Relations Center, the Patient Relations Associate (PRA) provides friendly, accurate, and efficient telephone customer service, and schedules appointments on PPHP’s Clinical Information System (CIS). As the front-line contact with PPHP’s customers, the PRA responds in a personalized and sensitive manner with accurate information to arrange convenient appointments and good referrals for service. Assures departmental compliance with agency policies regarding appointments and confidentiality. Accurately enters registration, insurance, and appointment data into the computer.
- Answer in-coming telephone calls within three rings and according to protocol. (E.g. Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic; this is Ernestine; How may I help you?)
- Answer callers’ questions regarding hours, services, directions, prices, referrals, etc.
- Forward callers with medical questions and concerns to appropriate health center staff.
- Ask appropriate questions to determine type of visit patient needs.
- Schedule patient appointments on CIS using existing registration information or by processing a “mini” registration.
- Accurately record insurance information on system; verify that coverage is in effect; verify that insurance covers the services being requested.
- Obtain pre-authorization for services from third-party insurers as needed, and provide detailed documentation of such authorization.
- Perform sliding fee scale assessment as required.
- Provide all information to ensure that the patient is prepared for his/her visit to a PPHP health center.
- Provides a rich conduit of information and ideas between sites and other PPHP departments.
- Participates in ongoing feedback with colleagues.
- Incorporates customer satisfaction into all aspects of the work.
- Encourages Team to take responsibility for evaluating and improving systems.
- Supports and encourages a culture that:
- Demonstrates flexibility and teamwork; understands the interaction between this position and others with whom the position works directly and indirectly.
- Ensures that interactions incorporate PPHP values of integrity, partnership, customer focus, communication and quality.
- Supports effort of the PPHP’s diversity program to provide services that are culturally and linguistically competent; takes the initiative to develop own awareness and knowledge of diversity matters.
- Completes all responsibilities according to established protocols, policies and standard practices in the areas of customer service, quality assurance and regulatory compliance programs such as HIPAA (Health Information Portability & Accountability Act), OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Act) and CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Administration) and Title X.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Planned Parenthood.
- High school diploma or equivalent, with one year of experience in a call center, a health care setting, or providing customer service.
- Excellent customer service skills, especially a calm and friendly telephone manner.
- Adept at using CIS software and MS Outlook programs utilized in this agency.
- Ability to perform detail-oriented work routinely.
- Ability to handle confidential information discreetly.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic