Software Development Manager
- Posted: March 11, 2022
Planet DDS is the leading provider of cloud-enabled dental software solutions serving over 10,000 practices in North America with over 60,000 users. The company delivers a complete platform of solutions for dental practices including Denticon Practice Management, Apteryx XVWeb Digital Imaging, and Legwork Patient Relationship Management. Planet DDS is committed to creating value for its dental practice clients by solving the most urgent challenges facing todays dental practices in North America.
A software development manager is an organized, results driven leader who builds teams, tracks meaningful metrics, and delivers consistently. The manager should enjoy working across the organization to achieve successful business outcomes. Within engineering, the manager will need to identify, align, and build individuals strengths to build high performing teams. To achieve these results, the manager will need to be motivated, be able to take high-level direction and execute on it, communicate clearly, understand technology deeply, and have a servant-leader mindset.
Development managers play a crucial role in fostering and maintaining culture, professionalism, and team dynamics. The candidate should be prepared to invest in team member professional development and growth for both technical and soft skills. Managers should have strong technical skills personally with particular attention to the entirety of what it takes to release successfully. While staying on top of the day-to-day work is important, managers also must identify and implement productivity enhancements such as task automation, process improvements, deeper test coverage, and cross-training.
This position is based in our Seattle, WA office on a hybrid schedule.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Create and maintain a culture of excellence within her/his geographically distributed team(s)
- Understand the key metrics that agile teams need to be effective and be able to implement and deliver these consistently
- Help drive technical decisions such as architecture, design patterns, CI/CD pipelines, and coding practices to support scalable, resilient, high-performing solutions
- Handle multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Navigate ambiguity and deliver incrementally in the right direction
- Assess and raise risks across the Planet DDS solutions
- Keep abreast of technology industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices, so you can recommend new tools and technologies
- Contribute to engineering department strategy, goal setting, processes, and budget
- Ensure compliance with quality standards, regulatory and other business systems
- Other duties as assigned
- 10+ years in full-lifecycle software engineering
- 5+ years as a manager in an engineering organization
- 5+ years as a developer on a multi-person engineering team
- Hands on development experience with React, NodeJS and/or the Microsoft technology stack particularly .NET
- Demonstrated success in mentoring and coaching engineers
- Deep understanding and experience with Agile principles and practices
- Strong skills in interpersonal relationships and team building
- Excellent English communication skills
- Bachelors Degree in a relevant major or equivalent years of experience
- Each of the following would be a plus:
- Broad work in commercial software off the shelf delivered on premise or SaaS (preferred)
- Extensive experience with cloud product development and release
- Direct experience with transitioning from classic web application architectures to more modern architectures such as microservices
- CI/CD both constructing the pipeline and establishing best practices
- Mobile application experience iOS, Android, React
- Google Cloud Platform
- Dental industry knowledge
- You respect and share our values
- You love working with teams of smart and driven people who are excited to solve challenging problems
- You can talk about complex software systems and have ideas on how to build quality, performant, and easily supportable software most effectively
- You believe that code-reviews are important to delivering quality a product
- You are adamant about instrumenting and measuring the performance of code to find bottlenecks and improve performance
- You exhibit dogged determination to get to the root of problems
- You care about best-practices and evangelizing them with the team
- You like to research and propose new techniques and methodologies to improve quality and efficiency of our software
- You can clearly convey your thoughts, enjoy presenting what you have done, and can cater your message to audiences both technical and non-technical
Behavior and Scope
- You raise issues early when you see obstacles to achieving a goal and work to find solutions.
- You volunteer to get involved in the solution even if it is beyond your own team or role.
- You evangelize good practices both on and off your team.
- You actively help solve cross-team issues by assisting other teams.
- You speak up on more broad issues in the domain beyond your own work, such as processes, company issues or large projects.
- You propose and advocate for significant new features and actively affect change.
- You lead and guide other team members.
- You actively mentor others and seek accountability.
Powered by JazzHR
TechnologyView all jobs at Planet DDS