Data Scientist/Machine Learning Software Engineer
Phenomics Health Inc Plymouth, MI
- Posted: over a month ago
Phenomics Health Inc.’s Software Development Team seeks full-time Data Scientist/Machine Learning Software Engineer. Successful candidate must possess referenced knowledge, skills, and experience.
• Full-time position.
• Phenomics Health Inc. (PHI) is a Plymouth/Ann Arbor Michigan based precision medicine company creating clinical treatment decision support products and services to provide medication recommendations, anticipate adverse drug reactions, drug-gene and drug-drug interactions, and improve patient outcomes.
• The Data Scientist/Machine Learning Software Engineer will work as part of the PHI software development and scientific teams to create the next generation of the Pharmacogenomics Informatics Platform (PIP), a University of Michigan discovered and PHI-developed AI-based software platform that is part of a larger clinical decision support system.
• The PIP will include a set of bioinformatics and biostatistics methods and a suite of pharmacogenomics-informed artificial intelligence/machine learning techniques used to analyze “multi-omics” biomedical data, pharmacogenomics, and pharmacology data, to be merged in with PHI genetic, pharmacometabolomics measurements to be integrated with patient data from the electronic health record (EHR) and analyzed, optimized and reported, using the PHI Precision Phenome Platform (P3).
• The primary focus of the Data Scientist/Machine Learning Engineer will be to develop and apply machine learning models and techniques to biomedical data in the context of a broader set of bioinformatics pipelines that form an evolving clinical treatment decision support software system, using our PIP, P3, and report generators.
• Additional software development in support of the PIP and P3, including module development for data input, analysis, and reporting will be required.
OPERATIONS - GENERAL
• Develop and apply machine learning models and systems in PHI’s proprietary PIP and P3 analytic platforms.
• Writing well-designed, efficient, and testable code to build innovative, high-quality software while complying with project plans and industry standards.
• Requirements gathering and industry-standard documentation of work.
• Defining system functionality.
• Work in an agile development environment with frequent iterations and feedback between the software development and scientific teams.
• Must be adept at integrating software and data components into a fully functional software as a platform (SaaP) system.
• Must be able to monitor system performance and troubleshoot issues.
REGULATORY & COMPLIANCE
• It is important to recognize that the data will include protected patient information and therefore, data storage, transfer, and handling must comply with all federal and state HIPAA regulations and guidelines. Must insure privacy and security of patient-specific data.
• The FDA has proposed a regulatory framework for artificial intelligence/machine learning-based “software as a medical device” (SaMD) systems. All use of AI/ML should comply with this evolving regulatory framework.
• Provide frequent updates of progress in achieving milestones per project, depositing code and documentation as work progresses.
• Communicate internally with software development, scientific teams, PHI management, and externally with University of Michigan scientific advisors.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
• Significant experience with machine learning packages and techniques.
• Knowledge of statistics and algorithm development in the R programming environment.
• Experience using the Python programming language and Python AI/ML libraries such as PyTorch is required.
• Knowledge and experience using other AI/ML frameworks like TensorFlow is preferred.
• A working knowledge of cloud-based systems such as Amazon Web Services (AWS, with its myriad of offerings) as well as container systems like Docker is preferred.
• Minimum Master’s degree in bioinformatics, biostatistics, statistics, computer science, information science, or a related field or equivalent experience.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
• Operate equipment, read technical information, and/or use a keyboard.
• Utilize hand and finger dexterity.
• Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Collect, interpret, and/or analyze complex data and information.
• Occasionally lift greater than 30 pounds.
Work environment will be a laboratory/office setting. Offices will be adjoined to the laboratory. Limited remote work and hybrid work options may be available.
• Phenomics conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third-party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates.
• This description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work for this position. It is not intended to describe other duties or responsibilities that may be periodically assigned.
• In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
• Recruiters need not respond.
Phenomics Health Inc