Promotes and nurtures the education of “at risk” high school students (grades 9 through 12), by individually and through Large Group Instruction (LGI) and Small Group Instruction (SGI) environments, coaching and mentoring students in their academic studies, and with behavioral issues to prepare them for post-high school employment, vocational training and/or college success; planning and tailoring courses of study to the individual student’s needs; monitoring, assisting with, and correcting, academic efforts; ensuring the student has the moral support on site to overcome personal/environmental obstacles they may face; skillfully leverages all available team members and PHASE 4/district assets, ultimately providing a safe, nurturing environment conducive to learning and behavioral maturation; keeping parents/guardians informed.
· Educates students by planning/developing and conducting daily large group instruction (LGI) and small group instruction (SGI) courses of study according to PHASE 4 curriculum guidelines, district and state requirements.
· Tailors courses of study in A+ software and in SGI by developing modifications for several levels of academic ability and previous achievement. Employs Internet/social networking concepts to further develop student literacy through a proprietary weblog program.
· Monitors, assists, corrects, and grades student results by preparing SGI assignments and tests for in-school preparation; organizes and/or assists in conducting initial benchmark and/or periodic standardized tests in accordance with PHASE 4 guidelines, and district policies and state law.
· Maintains a calm, warm and inviting learning environment in the classroom by coaching, mentoring and counseling students with behavioral problems one-on-one; consulting with other team members and professionals where there appears to be evidence of learning disabilities, drug, or alcohol abuse, problems of social adjustment, or child abuse.
· Maintains safe and healthy educational environment by following, and enforcing PHASE 4, and school district standards and procedures; also by maintaining open channels of communications with students and families to build bonds of mutual trust and respect.
· Intercepts deterioration in or lack of sufficient academic achievement by counseling students with academic difficulties; works with the student individually and with fellow team members to develop actionable comprehensive strategies.
· Keeps parents informed by maintaining records of academic performance, attendance, and social acclimation; reporting on all elements of student development at parent-teacher conferences, both regularly scheduled and as-needed/as-requested.
· Provide student support services by working with local PHASE 4 partners in order to provide students with “real world learning/learning through internship” opportunities as allowed; acts as point of contact as directed for specific PHASE 4 business/civic organization partners as directed by the Site Director.
· Leads teams of students as directed/required in conducting periodic light clean-up of facilities in order to foster student ownership of the site.
· Executes additional tasks as directed by the Site Director in support of the care, health and welfare of our students and our facility.
SGI Classroom Environment Management; Building Personal Relationships, Verbal Communication, Resolving Conflict, Student Situational Awareness/Early Crisis Identification and Intervention; Presentation Skills, Self-Motivated, Motivating Others, Listening, Collaborative Teaching – 9-12; Deals with Uncertainty; maintains Objectivity and Confidentiality.
· BA/MA in Education
· PDE Teacher Certification
· Must be able to pass any/all PDE-required or further district-required background investigations