The Director of Nursing is responsible for the administration of management of Nursing Services in accordance with orders of the physicians and total needs of the patients. Responsible for 24-hour supervision of Nursing Services.
Roles and Responsibilities
· Assumes ultimate responsibility for coordinating plans for the patients which comply with physician’s orders, government regulations and facility residents care policies.
· Develops, maintains and upgrades nursing services objectives, standards for nursing practice, nursing procedure manuals.
· Participates in the recruitment, selection, hiring, orientation, training and dismissal of nursing personnel.
· Assists in controlling nursing service hours and supply costs, including recommendation for the number of type of nursing personnel to be employed and nursing service equipment and supply needs.
· Maintains contact with physicians as necessary according to patient’s needs, facility policies and governmental regulations.
· Evaluates information to be shared with nursing personnel and allied services for continuity of patients care.
· Maintains good interpersonal relationships with patients, family, caregivers and nursing personnel.
· Periodically visits patients to ensure maximum care and to ascertain need to additional or modified services.
· Participates in professional organization activities, identifies and meets educations needs of staff through meeting and in-service classes.
· Assures that an adequate orientation and in-service training program is provided for all nursing personnel.
· Confers daily with the COO regarding current status of nursing services and submits written reports as requested.
· Assign duties and delegates responsibilities to nursing personnel.
· Evaluates performance of nursing personnel and maintains evaluation records.
· Encourages Staff development and professional growth.
· Assures adequate 24-hour nursing coverage each day.
Expected Professional Competencies
· Experienced or trained in nursing service administration
· One or more years of demonstrated ability in nursing administration and/or supervision in a health facility
· Infusion administration
· Demonstrates knowledge of and ability to apply basic principles of nursing care and teaching
· Demonstrates leadership ability and capability to work effectively with all levels of personnel
· Maintains an interest and knowledge of current trends and new developments in nursing and health administration
· Demonstrates interest and ability to work effectively with the public
· A genuine interest in and respect for people and a desire to be of service to them
· Advanced Excel skills
· Able to utilizes the latest technology to enhance the growth of an organization
· Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
Required Education and / or Training
· Registered Nurse with current California License
· Nursing degree in health care preferred
· Three years of management experience in health care organization